MATURE buck bed question

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dirt nap giver

MATURE buck bed question

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:45 pm

I heard something this morning and I don't know if there is truth to it. Although this would explain the multiple beds in one location fact.
Does a buck urinate in his bed after getting up from it to mark it as "his" because he doesn't want another deer using it. At the same time do doe's urinate off to the side of the bed?
I feel this info would help all of us with the up coming scouting season.
I know there are other ways of reading the specific spot of the beds. Rubs in close proximity to the bed, staging area etc. but more specifically the actual bed itself. Another sign is looking for staining of the snow from the rear hock's, belly hair etc. is there anything else to look for?
One of the things I am struggling with is finding the actual location of the bed. While I can see and figure out the bedding zone of a buck, I do not see what Dan and the videos project as beds where I live and hunt. This lack of specific bed sign is what leads me to believe that mature bucks change the location of their bed come September in response to the food, foliage and pressure changes that are happening in their world.
Please keep in mind that I am not just talking about marshes, hill country, farm land etc. I am talking bedding location as a whole. The information I find in spring is NOT the same info that is usable during the hunting season.

I know some of you may think I am crazy, but I have scouted way more over the last 3 years than I ever have and every one of the buck beds I have found and set up on have been empty during the season. Some thing isn't adding up here and I need to figure it out before the scouting season begins.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: MATURE buck bed question

Unread postby dan » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:46 pm

Try scouting earlier in the year... I think my best scouting comes right when the snow melts here. This because at that point in the year the beds from October and November are still fresh enough, and preserved to tell whats going on. In some cases bedding is year round in a spot, other places not so much.
A s far as bucks peeing in there beds, yes, I have observed this, but have also seen bucks use a bed, and the next day see a totally different buck in the same bed. In my opinion, multiple beds in a primary bedding are are from either multiple deer, or changeing beds during the day as wind and thermals shift.
As far as does peeing in beds... I don't know. Really never paid attention to that.
oneflag

Unread postby oneflag » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:06 am

The doe beds I have found while snow is on the ground have had poo and pee just a few feet away. This tells me the does don’t stand up and pee in the bed. The idea that bucks pee in their bed to mark it has me thinking, I trust Dan’s opinion!

Male goats don't pee on themselves because they like it. They pee on themselves too attract the females. Is this why a buck would pee in his bed? He then could roll in it like a dog!

Easier said than done but scouting should start as soon as season ends. Over 30 years I’ve hunted and I never did this much. For numerous reasons in 2009 I had a terrible deer season. When season was over I mentally wasn’t done hunting. I went out scouting in January and naturally all the sign from the past season is still there. Most important; my mental notes, ideas and places to check where still fresh in my mind.
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:04 am

Typically I start scouting new areas in January, I have quite a bit more time that time of year. The scouting done in January is to locate big rubs. I journal them and come back I the spring.
That is interesting that one day one buck will bed and the next day a different one will bed there. It is my understanding that the buck will pee in his bed after rising from it. But if different bucks are using it the next day, then that wouldn't make much sense. Hummmmmm! We shall see I guess.
One thing is for sure, I will not allow myself to be behind the ball like this again next year. Work or no work, I will make the time in late spring as well as pre season/ in season scouting.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:52 am

Deer are pigs by nature. They pee anywhere, any time. They pee on food sources, they pee in water they drink (as evidenced in the trail camera picture) they pee in their beds. I wouldn't put too much into where they pee.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:19 am

They might just pee because they have been sitting all day and need to let one rip before they head out for the evening. There might be something territorial there too but as long as a buck isn't using the bed I don't see a different buck staying out of the area if he doesn't have to.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:31 am

headgear wrote:They might just pee because they have been sitting all day and need to let one rip before they head out for the evening. There might be something territorial there too but as long as a buck isn't using the bed I don't see a different buck staying out of the area if he doesn't have to.

I think this is very much the case. They get up drop a load of pellets and pee.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:24 am

I agree with Stan & Headgear... I never seen a buck pee in a bed and then lay or roll in it. They get up to head out and pee before leaving... Just like when you lay in bed all night and get up and have to pee...
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:33 am

I didn't think they did the pig roll. However this action would fit their beastly name of SLOB! Ha! Any way, it was more that they get up pee in their bed and leave. Thus markin their bed from another buck. The difference is that does pee just outside I their bed

Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:52 am

I observe this all the time, my wife calls it "attitude ". I walk out my door and go where ever I want because it's my territory(property). Since deer have testosterone I assume they think the same way. :D
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:53 am

Oops, sorry, I didn't realized you could used other synonyms for pee.
Craaaig

Unread postby Craaaig » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:21 pm

When mike Avery interviews rompola he mentions bucks will poop in there bed to mark that bed as theirs, while does will poop off to the side of their bed. Have found a lot of buck beds with poop in them!! So hard to say though, I think some bucks just have different personalities than others.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”