Rut?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Remington guy

Rut?

Unread postby Remington guy » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:35 pm

How do most of u scout during rut, I have been putting in to much time, and nothing is producing for me. Have been hunting funnels, bedding, water, and farm land, running out of options, the rut is now, and I don't want to waste a season, looking for sign, should I just sit in a funnel and put more time in?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

wmihunter

Re: Rut?

Unread postby wmihunter » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:23 pm

The rut is just starting. Bucks are beginning to chase and seek does and travel more in general. In my opinion you don't need to scout too much. Kick up some does and hunt on the downwind side or hunt in funnels. Be patient and stay positive.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:56 pm

It's too early to sit in a funnel, right now you want to be in a staging off the bedding because they're starting to get out of bed during legal and you can catch them. Depending on where you're at 11/6-11/7 you can start on the funnels, but really 11/8-11/14 that's your funnel hunt. A little earlier up near Minnesota a little later say southern IL.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:58 am

The rut is the best time to hunt all of your good locations. Move around after a morning or evening if you do not see nothing. The bucks could be in an area trying to locate a hot doe. If you go into an area an bump more than three or four deer along with bucks. You need to be getting in a tree. My 2 cents.

Good luck.
GH
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”