Is there such a thing as too thick for deer???

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

adrenalin
500 Club

Is there such a thing as too thick for deer???

Unread postby adrenalin » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:34 pm

So today I went scouting to check out a new spot. It is kind of land locked, private on 3 sides and surrounded by a creek and flooded cattails and mucky pond on 1 whole side. So being used to working hard and getting wet I say I got this no problem. Once I finally arrive at the creek after jumping from bog to bog, I see it's about 3 feet deep. So I walked up the creek till I found a spot where I could jump to a bog on the other side. After I made it across I'm thinking to myself "Ya baby buck paradise" with nothing but cattails and thick nasty up ahead. After just going a short ways though, my thoughts changed. It just got wetter and wetter and thicker to the point it was almost impossible to get through. Everything was under water and balls deep if you missed the next bog. The cattails had some crazy vines growing in them that made it almost impossible to get through. It took me an hour of fighting to just make it about 400 yards to the edge of the woods and yet I never found much deer sign. After finally making it to the woods my heart sank as i found a wide trail cut in right through the middle of the woods. The trail must come from the private land because it would have to cross the creek otherwise. I still looked around but was suprised by the lack of sign. I did find 2 buck beds and about 10 monster rubs from last year right on the wide trail through the woods. But overall it just was so thick in the marsh that there wasn't any trails through it. Even in the hardwoods it was so thick with mature trees and underbrush that it would of been impossible to shoot through. I guess I never thought a spot could be too thick but it sure seemed that way. I would of taked some pictures but most of the time I couldn't see 10 feet in front of me. So on the way back out I walked the edge of the farm field untill I had to get back in the marsh. The marsh grass met right up to the corn field. I did find a buck bed full of hair in some bushes that made a little point into the corn, and by the looks of it kicked him out. Basically a few big bucks live there and that's it. It might be worth another scout but I'm not really sure on this one.

headgear
500 Club

Re: Is there such a thing as too thick for deer???

Unread postby headgear » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:53 pm

I don't know if a spot can be too thick but this spot sounds thick and maybe too wet, they still need a little something out of the water to bed on.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:33 pm

You would be surprised the nasty stuff bucks live in. If there is an opening inside there with slightly higher spots it would be a big buck paradise. One time I set up a camera in an opening in nasty stuff similar to what you are talking about and over the course of a month or so had unbelievable pics of huge bucks. Most of them were in water up to their belly and were caught on camera numerous times. Never once got a pic of a doe or young buck, every single one was a shooter! :o Now figuring out how to hunt it.......that's another story!
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:47 pm

Dewey wrote:You would be surprised the nasty stuff bucks live in. If there is an opening inside there with slightly higher spots it would be a big buck paradise. One time I set up a camera in an opening in nasty stuff similar to what you are talking about and over the course of a month or so had unbelievable pics of huge bucks. Most of them were in water up to their belly and were caught on camera numerous times. Never once got a pic of a doe or young buck, every single one was a shooter! :o Now figuring out how to hunt it.......that's another story!

I like the sound of that place.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:23 am

I remember those pics Dewey, very cool. There must have been some good bedding locations close by? I think in the above case there just isn't anywhere for them to bed in that water.
Beason
500 Club

Unread postby Beason » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:10 pm

Id like to see those pics Dewey!

I think that yes, there are some spots that will be too thick for deer, but once pressure starts, they'll go anywhere. Timing this particular spot may be the trick?
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:46 pm

In my opinion no. The thicker the better.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:02 pm

jack_4mn wrote:Id like to see those pics Dewey!

I think that yes, there are some spots that will be too thick for deer, but once pressure starts, they'll go anywhere. Timing this particular spot may be the trick?

Don't think I ever posted pics of the that particular spot I was speaking of. :?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:10 am

Some spots are too thick for ME to hunt effectively. But not for deer. They can slip through stuff that leaves me standing there shaking my head in awe.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”