Marsh scout 8-26-12

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Marsh scout 8-26-12

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:38 pm

I don't usually scout this late in the season but couldn't resist today with the rain and cooler temps. I don't plan on hunting here till later in the season so I wasn't too worried about disturbing any deer.

Right away I ran into a huge field of milkweed. Only picked 4 pods which will last the whole season. Hope BigHunt doesn't find these!! :lol:

Walked through cattails and ended up on one of the islands that has many huge oak trees. It was pretty obvious right away that the deer were hitting the acorns pretty hard since the trails to them were pounded down pretty good.

Never seen another person on this island but it looks like I have company! :shock:

I found quite a few scattered single beds in marsh grass which was up against small clumps of brush. This is one of those beds. Looks like the deer pooped in it's bed! :lol:

Oh yeah.......forgot to mention how dry the marsh is! Never seen it this bad. I could pretty much walk anywhere I wanted and everything was bone dry. Most of the ditches and canals were bone dry! Some of the cattails are already turning yellow already.

This canal usually has about 3 feet of water in it.

Every ditch I came across looked like this. I could walk right across and usually everything is deep water all the way to the cattail line.

Quite a bit of marsh grass has been cut on state land by farmers because of the emergency order from Scott Walker due to the drought. These areas too are usually pretty wet.

Should be an interesting year hunting in the marsh this year with the extremely dry conditions. Even though we got quite a bit of rain the last month or so it didn't seem to have any impact.

Past years of dry conditions proved to be difficult because it opens up so much more area for the deer to bed. I prefer wet years since the high water funnels movement in more predictable trails and limits the amount of prime bedding areas.

Guess I will be finding out soon enough. Can't wait till opening day. 8-)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

BigHunt

Re: Marsh scout 8-26-12

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:44 pm

Dewey wrote:I don't usually scout this late in the season . I don't plan on hunting here till later in the season so I wasn't too worried about disturbing any deer.

Right away I ran into a huge field of milkweed. Only picked 4 pods which will last the whole season. Hope BigHunt doesn't find these!! :lol:

[glow=red]but couldn't resist today with the rain and cooler temps[/glow]

cooler temps :? ...man i was sweating my but off just walking back and forth shooting my bow today :lol: really humid i thought ......

and dont worry i have my milk weed for the year ..... ;) :lol:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:47 pm

Dewey wrote:Right away I ran into a huge field of milkweed. Only picked 4 pods which will last the whole season.

good going :roll: , you know you just took out the HOLE population of monarch butterfly's right. :lol: :lol:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Pullintoobs
500 Club

Unread postby Pullintoobs » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:52 pm

How are the skeeters Dewey? Obviously they CANNOT be what they usually are but wondering?
An unforseen future...Nestled somewhere in time
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:21 pm

Pullintoobs wrote:How are the skeeters Dewey? Obviously they CANNOT be what they usually are but wondering?

Considering how dry everything is they were pretty bad. The recent rain must have hatched them.

KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:24 pm

Thanks for that very interesting report Dewey. Things are crazy dry in SE Wisconsin! I'm glad to hear the deer are still hitting acorns even with the drought. Since there are many more dry bedding options this year, I wonder if it would be a better option to hunt directly under some producing oak trees with bucks tracks leading to them, rather than hunting a bed found in springtime with no proof that it is being used?
In other words, this record setting dry early season, could it be a better bet to hunt the destination point (some remote acorns) rather than the starting points, which could be an increased number of bed options?
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:33 pm

Nice report.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:34 pm

BigHunt wrote:
Dewey wrote:I don't usually scout this late in the season . I don't plan on hunting here till later in the season so I wasn't too worried about disturbing any deer.

[glow=red]but couldn't resist today with the rain and cooler temps[/glow]

cooler temps :? ...man i was sweating my but off just walking back and forth shooting my bow today :lol: really humid i thought ......

and dont worry i have my milk weed for the year ..... ;) :lol:

It was definately muggy but I'll take 75 over 100 degrees any day.

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:35 pm

Nice pics Dewey. I went for a hike with the wife this afternoon and noticed the same thing, very low water levels. Very active mosquitoes too! How was the water levels in the actual cattails? I'm thinking I might have company on some of my spots if it is easier to get to.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:01 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:Nice pics Dewey. I went for a hike with the wife this afternoon and noticed the same thing, very low water levels. Very active mosquitoes too! How was the water levels in the actual cattails? I'm thinking I might have company on some of my spots if it is easier to get to.

Absolutely zero water in the cattails in spots that were beween knee and waist deep last year.

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:11 pm

Dewey wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote:Nice pics Dewey. I went for a hike with the wife this afternoon and noticed the same thing, very low water levels. Very active mosquitoes too! How was the water levels in the actual cattails? I'm thinking I might have company on some of my spots if it is easier to get to.

Absolutely zero water in the cattails in spots that were beween knee and waist deep last year.

Gonna make for an interesting year.....

Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:18 pm

Good stuff Dewey, this year is gonna be interesting.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:17 pm

KLEMZ wrote:Thanks for that very interesting report Dewey. Things are crazy dry in SE Wisconsin! I'm glad to hear the deer are still hitting acorns even with the drought. Since there are many more dry bedding options this year, I wonder if it would be a better option to hunt directly under some producing oak trees with bucks tracks leading to them, rather than hunting a bed found in springtime with no proof that it is being used?
In other words, this record setting dry early season, could it be a better bet to hunt the destination point (some remote acorns) rather than the starting points, which could be an increased number of bed options?

Great point and something I have been considering myself. Many of my beds are consistant no matter what it seems so I will stick to my plans on them but others I will be watching near secluded oak trees for sure.

kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:13 pm

Nice, hope the dry land doesnt get you too much company. In that photo with the run, is that red mark on the tree the "boundary"? Never hunted Wi, just wondering if thats how they mark the public land there? Also are screw in steps legal on public land in Wi? Find any big tracks? 8-)
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:25 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:Nice pics Dewey. I went for a hike with the wife this afternoon and noticed the same thing, very low water levels. Very active mosquitoes too! How was the water levels in the actual cattails? I'm thinking [glow=red]I might have company on some of my spots if it is easier to get to.[/glow]

:whistle: .... :lol:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”