Patterns seem to be changing

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Patterns seem to be changing

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:35 pm

I went out glassing tonight and saw bucks are coming out in spots I havnt seen them come out in before. Also saw some new bucks tonight. Could this be due to acorns dropping which is shifting their bedding to different areas?

BigHunt

Re: Patterns seem to be changing

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:44 pm

most likely ...have you noticed an thing different in the wind ???
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
FRH
500 Club

Unread postby FRH » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:44 pm

I think that might have something to do with it. Heard the sound of acorns crunching under the tires when I took a ride around tonight.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:51 pm

BigHunt wrote:most likely ...have you noticed an thing different in the wind ???

I thought about that too. It was a light and variable wind so it was hard to say which direction. If it is acorns changing the patterns, it amazes me how one variable can change everything.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:28 pm

Its that time of year... Acorns start dropping, beans start to turn bitter, and food sources shift... Happens every year towards the end of August / early September throwing a curve ball to anybody who has been watching a good buck all summer.
rack addict
500 Club

Unread postby rack addict » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:41 pm

Yes for sure, last time I checked my cams I had some new bucks that I haven't seen all summer. These pics are a sign of the wind of change.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:44 pm

White oaks start to drop every year about mid-late August. Surprisingly the drought conditions didn't seem to affect that although the acorns falling are pretty small.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:58 pm

dan wrote:Its that time of year... Acorns start dropping, beans start to turn bitter, and food sources shift... Happens every year towards the end of August / early September throwing a curve ball to anybody who has been watching a good buck all summer.

When you stop seeing a target buck this time of year how do change your tactics to figure out where he is bedding? All I have to bank on is the beds I found in the spring and correlate the beds to acorns or a new food source considering wind into it. I heard from a friend that a buck can relocate to completely different areas once the velvet comes off and patterns change. I dont mean to get too deep here but why would the buck change his area even if he still has what he needs in his summer range?
Pullintoobs
500 Club

Unread postby Pullintoobs » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:44 pm

BigHills BuckHunter wrote:
dan wrote:Its that time of year... Acorns start dropping, beans start to turn bitter, and food sources shift... Happens every year towards the end of August / early September throwing a curve ball to anybody who has been watching a good buck all summer.

When you stop seeing a target buck this time of year how do change your tactics to figure out where he is bedding? All I have to bank on is the beds I found in the spring and correlate the beds to acorns or a new food source considering wind into it. I heard from a friend that a buck can relocate to completely different areas once the velvet comes off and patterns change. I dont mean to get too deep here but why would the buck change his area even if he still has what he needs in his summer range?

Bucks in velvet are a totally different animal than when they they hard horned. EVERTHING can change.
An unforseen future...Nestled somewhere in time
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:12 pm

BigHills BuckHunter wrote:

Not all bucks relocate... And the best ones seem to be the ones that do it the least. Once antlers harden buck groups will often break up, and the less dominant bucks will be left looking for new ground.
As far as finding bucks that have dissapeared out of crop fields, try thinking about where they would move to close by. They are probably not gone, just moved to acorns, or apples, or coming out after dark... I do shift bedding areas that i hunt when acorns are falling and can think of several that are only good on good acorn years. But, some of the best bedding won't change at all... I guess my suggestion would be to hunt the beds you think the buck would prefer based on what food source is present, and how much pressure the buck is receiving. And keep tract of what you see, so in the future, you know what to expect in that area.
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:22 pm

Thanks for the advice Dan. My #1 target buck is the one im most concerned with. I saw him glassing tonight in beans with a 6 pointer that has a good 5 point side and a large spike on the other. Im assuming my #1 target is 5 yrs old and seems to be the dominant buck in the area not only based on his rack size but age as well. I just got back from shining and saw him in an apple orchard off the road about quarter mile from where I saw him glassing in the evening. The interesting part is that this apple orchard is about 50 yards to where my dad found one of his sheds last year. Seems to be a smaller range buck. Half his range is on the neighbors land and they dont bowhunt. Im afraid he will move into their land once I pressure him, either that or minimum will not move unless dark on our land. I have two spots pinned down where to hunt him with buck beds located nearby which I believe he is using.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”