Scouting mess up or not

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

TreeRat

Scouting mess up or not

Unread postby TreeRat » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:57 am

I was walking a property line keep junk trimmed back and started noticing deer droppings only a few pellet pile but a lot of big clumps most of the trail . the woods is about 100yds wide that opens up to fields. I have use this way several times to get to the field in the past years but not last year.

So thinking lets find a tree to put a stand in and get him walking by, well here I am walking all over the place looking up and then I see I'm stand right in the middle of a bed. looking around I can see several beds some older then other.

Did I mess the area up or do you think they will still use it.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Scouting mess up or not

Unread postby dan » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:27 am

It certainly did not help the situation, but if you got your tree picked and got out, you still might have a chance.
TreeRat

Unread postby TreeRat » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:31 am

Sure did. just cant set one and leave it dont trust the area to many trespasser and if they dont take my stuff its gives away my spot.
With this amount every few feet old and fresh of droppings in 100yds would this mean it could be a night bed, and does size really suggest it came from a buck?
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:39 pm

What was in the field? If it is tall grass adjacent to crops leading back into timber they are likely cud chewing night time beds...

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:38 pm

Bucky wrote:What was in the field? If it is tall grass adjacent to crops leading back into timber they are likely cud chewing night time beds...

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

good call

I have always been a believer that insincere bumping may make deer more alert of wary its when yorue trying to be sneaky that they relocate.....but then again mature bucks all vary and i am gnawing my finger nails over a bump or two myself
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:26 pm

Just curious why are you walking in the timber to get to the fields? Just trying to understand what you are trying to do.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
TreeRat

Unread postby TreeRat » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:49 am

Black line points north.the red line is the property line where all the droppings are. Blue circle is the beds I found,purple is stands spots.Yellow is so nasty I dont know how the deer move through it or to steep with dangerous washout. the area out lined in dark blue is my go for it spot this year. always been worry about blowing a chance at a nice buck because of how thick it is and the wind is always blowing the wrong way any where from west to north so I have to come in from the south.

Last year the field had corn in it for ever. I think it was still standing in January. it has bean in it now which was also planted really late compare to other fields.
I made it a little easier for you.
http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo26 ... unting.png

Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:28 pm

Agreed with bucky...sounds like night time beds if its open crp.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Last edited by Czabs on Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:30 pm

Agreed with bucky...sounds like night time beds if its open crp

[ Post made via Android ] Image
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:28 pm

Hey, it's worth a hunt to see what is in the area. Good Luck, I think you will be fine.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:00 pm

TreeRat wrote:Black line points north.the red line is the property line where all the droppings are. Blue circle is the beds I found,purple is stands spots.Yellow is so nasty I dont know how the deer move through it or to steep with dangerous washout. the area out lined in dark blue is my go for it spot this year. always been worry about blowing a chance at a nice buck because of how thick it is and the wind is always blowing the wrong way any where from west to north so I have to come in from the south.

Last year the field had corn in it for ever. I think it was still standing in January. it has bean in it now which was also planted really late compare to other fields.
I made it a little easier for you.
http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo26 ... unting.png

I like your stand spots located between bedding and food source. The beans will come out earlier than the corn did last year so keep that in mind. I would bet the bucks are bedding in the real thick stuff.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”