thoughts on possible bedding?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stevew77

thoughts on possible bedding?

Unread postby Stevew77 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:11 pm

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t69/ ... /56120.jpg

i did a good bit of scouting here in march, but the place has flooded so much in the bottoms and today was a bust for good tracks.

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: thoughts on possible bedding?

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:08 am

wow, now that is a lot of potential bedding! I put on a few possible beds- I'm drawn to the northern part of the map, with at least 3 different waterways coming together... whatever the food situation is, crops / mast / big woods browsing, those waterways are going to hold a lot of deer travel and bedding, rut or no rut. There are numerous other potential bedding areas, btw

Stevew77

Unread postby Stevew77 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:28 am

Yeah it's a good number of acres to scout. The bottoms are really thick and it's mostly big pines with oaks on the ridge side's and draws. I had to quit early because a storm was moving in but I almost made it to the big bottom up where you are talking about, place looks 200% different since the greenup

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:49 am

greenup really changes how things look from a visual standpoint, it really makes scouting tougher.

that's a great looking property with a ton of potential, looking forward to hearing of your deer season encounters there. 8-)
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:53 am

Whats your dominant wind?
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:59 pm

Not sure what you can and cant hunt....and I know its a lot to look at...but everything in yellow is where a vertical eddy (thermal wind tunnel) could accrue. This looks a lot like what I hunt, a ton of bedding options....for one or two good bucks.

Good Luck!!!

Stevew77

Unread postby Stevew77 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:20 am

Mostly west Dan but it varies nw, sw

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:43 am

I marked spots I would suspect a buck to bed based on West winds in blue... I marked yellow in spots I would check out that are not set up for west winds but look like great bedding... I could of marked a lot more, but stuck to what looked the best to keep it from getting confusing.
You can kind of merge this with the map Ninga made for you, during daylight a lot of the time the bucks will stay at that thermal tunnel elevation and can be shot at the same elevation there bed is at... Not always, but its a good spot to suspect and hunt if going in blind.

Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:49 pm

I agree with what was said, some of the obvious points would be could places to start. I would also checkout the road on the South side of the map, it shows several small driveways with black dots, which are either homes or cabins. If you are in heavily pressured hunting area, would expect that where the pressure would come from. Would look at some of the river crossing, expecting the deer to react to hunting pressure, and they may be bedding on some of the transitions/points on the North side of the river.
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:41 pm

The spots I've marked in "green" should be river crossings.

Three of Dans beds really jump out at me (circled in red)....they appear to be isolated points, the river adds extra security and they have easy access to multiple tracks of land/doe groups/food source. Mature bucks love security and options. Which gives them there...here today, gone tomorow..."Ghost like" statuses.

Stevew77

Unread postby Stevew77 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:21 am

here is a aerial and i marked one confirmed bed that i ran a buck out of in January. Dan and Ninja, the middle bed that you marked and circled is a bedding area, there is actually a small island to the right of that, when i worked around i noticed three sets of big tracks coming off of it. Im guessing i jumped them off the mainland and that is their escape route to cross the creek.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”