Thermals

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

kwaldeier
500 Club

Thermals

Unread postby kwaldeier » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:39 pm

Is a thermal always going to go uphill or downhill no matter what the wind is? Cross wind or a wind that is diagonal in any way?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

bigbob

Re: Thermals

Unread postby bigbob » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:42 pm

Yes your right. Thermals are much more consistent than any prevailing wind. Warming thermals will rise and cooling thermals will sink.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:12 am

Thermals are much more consistent than any prevailing wind. Warming thermals will rise and cooling thermals will sink.

X2
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:27 am

Warm air, is lighter air, it starts to rise then goes exactly where the wind makes it go.

Cold air, is heavy condensed air...it is much more consistent because the wind has less influence (because it's heavier)...Yet, the wind still plays a major roll in where a falling thermal goes also.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:40 am

this is a tricky question and i think ninja answered it quite well...

If I have a strong wind out of the west, and I'm on the south side wall of my favorite bluff the daytime rising thermals will not typically go "straight as an arrow" up the bluff.. the warming air will rise, but it shifts with the pounding wind currents coming in from the west.

hopefully that helps a bit, its easy to lose the meaning of your question when we type things out.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:46 am

Autumn Ninja wrote:Warm air, is lighter air, it starts to rise then goes exactly where the wind makes it go.

Cold air, is heavy condensed air...it is much more consistent because the wind has less influence (because it's heavier)...Yet, the wind still plays a major roll in where a falling thermal goes also.

X2
Throw in some wind gusts to create some swirls and you usually have a buck relocating to find a "as consistant" airflow as possible...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
kwaldeier
500 Club

Unread postby kwaldeier » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:06 am

Sounds goods guys! I got to thinking about thermals and the leeward side last night. I think I remember a spot that has a pretty warn trail from the deer checking the wind and the thermals. Have any of you guys set up a camera on a leeward trail?

Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:51 am

I put out a lot of trail cams....sometimes there on the leeward side, sometimes there not. That all depende on which way the wind blows from one day to the next.

percentage of travel (based on leeward movment) is not a study Ive done yet.

I normaly put my trail cam's in areas based on a falling thermals at noght, (down low) where/when 90% of all travel takes place (in the big woods I hunt). NOTE: I only use trail cams for resech and inventory...not hunting.
kwaldeier
500 Club

Unread postby kwaldeier » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:06 am

Hmm I would not have thought of putting them down low at night.just put them in the lowest spots in the area? What I meant was monitoring a leeward trail to see whenever they like to use it.

Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:28 am

kwaldeier wrote:Hmm I would not have thought of putting them down low at night.just put them in the lowest spots in the area? What I meant was monitoring a leeward trail to see whenever they like to use it.

Ive been using them (trail cams) for a wide rang of study...I leave them out for 3-4 months at a time... the leeward wind can be 360 degrees ,TO, 360 degrees...north to north,....no study on that type of movement yet;.

Theres so much to learn, it crazy!!!!
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:14 am

Autumn Ninja wrote:
kwaldeier wrote:Hmm I would not have thought of putting them down low at night.just put them in the lowest spots in the area? What I meant was monitoring a leeward trail to see whenever they like to use it.

Ive been using them (trail cams) for a wide rang of study...I leave them out for 3-4 months at a time... the leeward wind can be 360 degrees ,TO, 360 degrees...north to north,....no study on that type of movement yet;.

Theres so much to learn, it crazy!!!!

Looking forward to hearing some of your results, Ninja. 8-)

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”