shinning and pressure

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHunt

shinning and pressure

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:38 pm

how much shinning do you guys think it takes to spook a buck?

do you think that mature bucks pick up on that kind of pressure?

.....ive been seeing this particular buck nightly for about 3-4 weeks right after dark, and all of a sudden hes not there .....but when i came through latter on about an hour later, there he was!the food source hasn't changed, its still alfalfa

im thinking that hes picking up that im watching him or somethings not right...so i think im going to lay off of him till about a week or so before opener.. :think: what do you guys think

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Dewey

Re: shinning and pressure

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:48 pm

Yes you can definately put too much pressure on a buck if you shine him too much. I would lay off him for awhile and spot check him closer to the season a few times just to get a glimpse of him but don't spend any more than a few moments shining him. Trying to get him on video and harrasing him will only make him harder to kill. Closer to the opener will tell you anyway if he is still on the same pattern or not. Right now all you want to do is locate bucks and let them go about their normal routine with no pressure.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:52 pm

Dewey wrote:Yes you can definately put too much pressure on a buck if you shine him too much. I would lay off him for awhile and spot check him closer to the season a few times just to get a glimpse of him but don't spend any more than a few moments shining him. Trying to get him on video and harrasing him will only make him harder to kill. Closer to the opener will tell you anyway if he is still on the same pattern or not. Right now all you want to do is locate bucks and let them go about their normal routine with no pressure.

Your Right, I've got to lose the video camera . I've got enough footage of him this summer . I'm going to lay off him till the week before and hopefully he's still around....

[ Post made via iPod ] Image
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:20 pm

Otherwise just try glassing him before dark from a safe location if he moves early.

The biggest thing I worry about with spending too much time watching one particular buck is sooner or later a slob hunter will pick up on your pattern and figure out what you are up to and move in on your buck. I have sadly seen this way too many times myself on public land. You really need to be stealthy in situations like this and use different vehicles at times to throw them off. Call me paranoid but after so many years hunting public land and dealing with slob "hunters" I learned to be somewhat creative. ;)

Video's are great and we all really enjoy everything you post but I would really hate for the wrong person to see them and figure out where you are shining or hunting and ruin it for you. This is the reason why I never post any current buck pics or videos until after the season.

PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:46 pm

I would lay low dude. You know he's there.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:59 pm

All of the shining is slowing down right now because the acorns are starting to drop and the food source is changing. You will still see them in the fields, but not nearly as much.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:11 pm

dan wrote:All of the shining is slowing down right now because the acorns are starting to drop and the food source is changing. You will still see them in the fields, but not nearly as much.

Ahhh yes acorns, I had a feeling that might have something todo with it too. Good point

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:13 pm

Dewey wrote:Otherwise just try glassing him before dark from a safe location if he moves early.

The biggest thing I worry about with spending too much time watching one particular buck is sooner or later a slob hunter will pick up on your pattern and figure out what you are up to and move in on your buck. I have sadly seen this way too many times myself on public land. You really need to be stealthy in situations like this and use different vehicles at times to throw them off. Call me paranoid but after so many years hunting public land and dealing with slob "hunters" I learned to be somewhat creative. ;)

Video's are great and we all really enjoy everything you post but I would really hate for the wrong person to see them and figure out where you are shining or hunting and ruin it for you. This is the reason why I never post any current buck pics or videos until after the season.

Makes sense , I will keep that in mind.

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:35 am

BigHunt wrote:
dan wrote:All of the shining is slowing down right now because the acorns are starting to drop and the food source is changing. You will still see them in the fields, but not nearly as much.

Ahhh yes acorns, I had a feeling that might have something todo with it too. Good point

Great point Dan! Been baiting Bear for my Dad and have noticed this also....

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:02 am

im trying to think were the nearest acorn crops are in that location ....most of the trees are pines, so if i can locate those couple trees then i might be able to set up on thoses....its hard to decide
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:07 am

Lots of action in the beans yet by me, but the good ones don't show up till last minutes of light.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:00 am

dreaming bucks wrote:Lots of action in the beans yet by me, but the good ones don't show up till last minutes of light.

really...wow im seeing the complete opisite....i haven't seen them much at all in the beans...manly alfalfa and hey.....
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:04 am

BigHunt wrote:
dreaming bucks wrote:Lots of action in the beans yet by me, but the good ones don't show up till last minutes of light.

really...wow im seeing the complete opisite....i haven't seen them much at all in the beans...manly alfalfa and hey.....

I don't know, the last couple nights I went out before dark, and they were just munching on the beans. One nice 2 1/2 was bedded in the beans and eating on them at the same time, kind of funny....
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:18 am

dreaming bucks wrote:
BigHunt wrote:

I don't know, the last couple nights I went out before dark, and they were just munching on the beans. One nice 2 1/2 was bedded in the beans and eating on them at the same time, kind of funny....

ive been seeing a lot of them in the cut off oats
HUNT LIKE A BEAST

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”