Not finding big tracks?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: Not finding big tracks?

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:09 am

with the hunting pressure on some areas of Michigan public land, it can sometimes seem like finding a buck track worth hunting is the equivalent of finding a needle in a haystack. It can take meticulous scouting and countless hours of searching, combined with decades of familiarity with the hunting area in question, to find even a few targets.

This is really the only decent track I found of this buck this spring, and it was right in his bed... If I hadn't found the bed I may still be searching:

I found one print of this guy in the spring of 2011, where he stepped onto a sandy woods road. I found some of his beds and will be hunting him again this fall- he is alive and well, and I believe a 4.5 year old.

This is one of the largest bucks I am hunting this fall in Mich... I took the pic in the spring of 2010, I believe. The 2 or 3 rubs I found of him in his range top out neck high on me. I almost got an arrow into this guy during the opening week of bow last year, I was just a little too far out of his safety zone. He will be in contention for the largest buck ever taken in that county if someone gets him:

Now, let's put this into perspective... These tracks represent what I found with decades of scouting and experience under my belt on heavily pressured public land in several areas with over 7,040 acres involved...

My point: hitting the Michigan public woods, even what may seem like a "bunch of times", and not finding a good track doesn't surprise me. The cost / benefit ratio of Michigan public in the areas that get pounded can be about as BAD as it gets. Its the reason so many go elsewhere, and who could blame them? These bucks are in VERY heavy cover areas right now, even with their velvet racks. There is a good chance they would be poached if they were not...

I want to add, however, that there is little doubt that a 3.5 yr old buck is in the areas we scout... SOMEWHERE. For me, he'll score around 110", sorry to say... Whether or not it is worth your time to look is something we all decide for ourselves...

Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:05 pm

Agree with what you posted here SB. Like a recent post....the measure of a trophy is the effort and tactics used, more than the antler score.

No doubt, if you can find and kill 3.,5 yo bucks consistently on MI public land, you have achieved someting that 99% of the hunters aren't able to do.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:12 pm

Well as I eluded to in my first post, I think the bucks avoid this thick nasty stuff while their antlers are soft. I believe thats another reason if a nice buck is in the area, Im not seeing his tracks. Also as Zap said, tracks can be hard to find. Ive also been focusing on rubs and not finding anything that makes me look twice. Seems any rubs that appear worth noting, look about 6-7yrs old.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”