Not finding big tracks?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

kenn1320
500 Club

Not finding big tracks?

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:26 am

Ive been in some nasty stuff and Im just not finding big tracks. Im wondering, are antlers sensitive this time of year, keeping them out of the thick areas till they harden?

"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
gjs4
500 Club

Re: Not finding big tracks?

Unread postby gjs4 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:50 am

In my neck of the woods the big boys are not in the thick stuff right now.... sighting adn pics of mature animals have been almost exclusive to grass fields and open woods.....

Sidebar note- i have watched a few bucks navigate themselves and their headgear through hilatiously thick vine choked messes like a professional playing that Operation game we had as kids.... no idea how the heck they do it...
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:51 am

On a supplemented thought Ken...

I overthink everything. If youre not seeing tracks somewhere...go somewhere-else....i know it sounds dumb but i struggle that i miss things an dusually the facts are what I MISS.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:23 am

Tough time of the year for sure not to discount the less than desireable rainfall amounts.

Walk all water sources / puddles, etc... to the best of you ability you're bound to pick some up eventually...
Small ratio's but something to start with!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Stevew77

Unread postby Stevew77 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:26 am

I usually have the same issue when it comes to finding tom's in the spring, but I agree, hit the moist soil and work your way out

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:02 am

Tracks can be hard to find...
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:45 am

I would guess that most of the problem is that you are scouting S. Michigan public land....where find a large buck track is very rare to begin with.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:39 am

Tadmdad wrote:I would guess that most of the problem is that you are scouting S. Michigan public land....where find a large buck track is very rare to begin with.

Yeah but all the guys that dont want antler restrictions tell me there are big bucks everywhere, you just have to hunt harder. :roll: Seriously though, this public land is so thick, I thought for sure I would find some old rubs on decent size tree's to indicate a decent buck. However most of the rub sign I find is years old, and surrounded by hunter sign. Even though the areas are thick, they must get enough pressure to keep the age structure down.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:39 am

kenn1320 wrote:
Tadmdad wrote:I would guess that most of the problem is that you are scouting S. Michigan public land....where find a large buck track is very rare to begin with.

Yeah but all the guys that dont want antler restrictions tell me there are big bucks everywhere, you just have to hunt harder. :roll: Seriously though, this public land is so thick, I thought for sure I would find some old rubs on decent size tree's to indicate a decent buck. However most of the rub sign I find is years old, and surrounded by hunter sign. Even though the areas are thick, they must get enough pressure to keep the age structure down.

I hear you Kenn....we live in the middle of the Allegan State Game Area, spend alot of time in the woods around here, mushrooming, small game, training my birddogs, etc. Several of my neighbors bowhunt around here, and they kill a fair amount of deer. In the 19 yrss we have lived here, I would say that the decent bucks I've seen could be counted on one hand, effort in futility try to deer hunt around here, have to many other interests to spend my time doing.
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:38 am

can rake spots on trails too...
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:45 pm

Man, Im not finding much either because of this damn drought. The ground is like concrete and shows little evidence of specific tracks.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:55 pm

Man, there has got to be something better for you Michigan guys??

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:39 pm

Public Land Beast wrote:

Man, there has got to be something better for you Michigan guys??

There is.....this is why many of us are traveling hunters. Many groups are working hard for regulation changes that will improve our hunting. But some of the old habits we have had take a long time to change.

mibowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mibowhunter » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:05 am

Tadmdad wrote:this is why many of us are traveling hunters

Kinda sucks, 5+ hours of traveling is the norm for me if I want to see anything over 100". Not cool, and with a wife who doesn't understand what hunting is all about, fall can be a difficult time. ;)
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:35 am

Just something to think about but some nice bucks might not have the biggest tracks. I have shot some public land 3 year olds and none of them had big tracks, in fact I was surprised at how small of the their tracks were.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”