Ever get that feeling?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Ever get that feeling?

Unread postby Czabs » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:12 pm

I scouted out a piece of public pretty well over the winter/spring and there was a piece I was suspecting a big buck to be bedding. #1 it is overlooked. #2 It is thick and there is plenty of cover #3 it is very isolated to human traffic. When I scouted it I found OLD rubs and 1 really old matted down area of grass...if it was a bed it was a big deer. The "bed" or whatever you want to call it was in a perfect location nestled on one side of a pine tree and a fallen tree. When I got done scouting it I felt as though, the spot was crap and I probably wont hunt it. HOWEVER...all the closest crop fields were winter wheat last year. This year they are all beans...that got me thinking. Maybe a deer would only bed there if the crop fields were beans/corn...something more desirable than winter wheat. I just have that feeling a big boy is going to be there. In the next month I will be doing some heavy survelience on the area, hoping to get a mature buck sighting or maybe even some video. All I know is if I see a big gun in the field, I can almost guarantee he's bedding in that spot. Game on. 8-)

Dewey

Re: Ever get that feeling?

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:19 pm

Sounds like everything is perfect for a mature buck to bed there. If you have a gut feeling on a spot like that trust your instincts. ;)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:39 pm

Sounds legit to me....go get him!
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:25 am

Good luck with him ! The only thing about beans with me, It seems like the beans turn yellow a couple weeks before opener of bow hunting where I hunt in Southern WI, and the deer stop eating them for awhile... Just something to keep in mind.... By me, they stop eating the beans, and then usually start eating on acorns, but who knows this year, with all the early drop of acorns, not sure how that will affect it.....
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:46 am

Sounds like you're spot on.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:58 am

I know what you mean, good luck.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:21 am

dreaming bucks wrote:Good luck with him ! The only thing about beans with me, It seems like the beans turn yellow a couple weeks before opener of bow hunting where I hunt in Southern WI, and the deer stop eating them for awhile... Just something to keep in mind.... By me, they stop eating the beans, and then usually start eating on acorns, but who knows this year, with all the early drop of acorns, not sure how that will affect it.....

Planning on early october or first frost...they seem to hit the beans heavy then..but we'll see when hes hotting the fields if there is one even there

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:25 am

Sounds intriguing.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
eastwoodhunter

Unread postby eastwoodhunter » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:27 pm

:arrow: send one through the pump station!
bbahunter

Unread postby bbahunter » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:03 am

Go with what your gut is telling you.
Pope and Young Associate Member
Massachusetts Bowhunters Life Member
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:13 am

bbahunter wrote:Go with what your gut is telling you.

X2! Hard to second guess your gut feeling

MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:43 pm

Yup, I know what your talking about. I almost get chills up and down my spine when I'm scouting and have figured out how I'm gonna hunt a particular deer. Thought I had one figured out last year, but after 5 different encounters he was always a step ahead. I figured out two more places to set up on him; Also, I figured out how he was eluding me. Just praying he survived this winter :pray:
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:23 am

Czabs wrote:I scouted out a piece of public pretty well over the winter/spring and there was a piece I was suspecting a big buck to be bedding. #1 it is overlooked. #2 It is thick and there is plenty of cover #3 it is very isolated to human traffic. When I scouted it I found OLD rubs and 1 really old matted down area of grass...if it was a bed it was a big deer. The "bed" or whatever you want to call it was in a perfect location nestled on one side of a pine tree and a fallen tree. When I got done scouting it I felt as though, the spot was crap and I probably wont hunt it. HOWEVER...all the closest crop fields were winter wheat last year. This year they are all beans...that got me thinking. Maybe a deer would only bed there if the crop fields were beans/corn...something more desirable than winter wheat. I just have that feeling a big boy is going to be there. In the next month I will be doing some heavy survelience on the area, hoping to get a mature buck sighting or maybe even some video. All I know is if I see a big gun in the field, I can almost guarantee he's bedding in that spot. Game on. 8-)

Looking forward to seeing what you find with your surveillance- I think your instincts will go a long way. 8-)

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”