POST SEASON PREPARAIONS

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

backstraps

POST SEASON PREPARAIONS

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:12 pm

When you go and post season scout and find an area with concrete evidence of a mature buck ...

I understand getting in his bed, coming up up a plan of what wind he is using the bed, his routes in and out of the bed..

Would you guys maybe return the following day, and climb the trees you think are the ones to hunt and cut shooting lanes, etc OR is this too much intrusion on his bedding area (even though it will be Feb-Mar-or April)

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: POST SEASON PREPARAIONS

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:40 pm

backstraps wrote:When you go and post season scout and find an area with concrete evidence of a mature buck ...

I understand getting in his bed, coming up up a plan of what wind he is using the bed, his routes in and out of the bed..

Would you guys maybe return the following day, and climb the trees you think are the ones to hunt and cut shooting lanes, etc OR is this too much intrusion on his bedding area (even though it will be Feb-Mar-or April)

I will often return to a bedding area multiple times in the spring, needing to learn more and perhaps to add an additional stand potential to what I had in place. In my public hunting areas in Michigan I am not allowed to cut shooting lanes... but I definitely get up potential stand trees and look around, walk runways, etc. if it is a wise old Michigan public lander, i try not to let him pattern my entry and exit routes for his future reference! I will even spread some of my scent around to specifically confuse him a bit. many think this is not necessary and that all will be forgotten by fall, but i try not to educate a buck that is currently using the bedding area too much.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:53 am

backstraps wrote:When you go and post season scout and find an area with concrete evidence of a mature buck ...

it normally shouldn't be any problem for you to return to the bedding area, there is a long way to go to next hunting season. Remember that a mature buck likely has many beds and bedding areas- just finding one bed may leave you with a long way to go.

I can't cut shooting lanes on public, but I do like to get up potential stand trees if possible to view the area / buck approaches / see what the buck will be able to see of tree I'm in from his bed, etc.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:00 pm

Thanks Singing Bridge

I see what you are sayiong about finding one buck bed. I am hoping to find several on each small parcel I hunt for next season.

I didnt even think about not being able to cut shooting lanes on public. I was curious because some of the videos I have watched, seems like some of the shots needed some small lanes cut :)

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”