DAYIME vs NIGHT TIME BEDS

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

backstraps

DAYIME vs NIGHT TIME BEDS

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:29 pm

(HILL COUNTRY)
I have heard many times that hunters will consider most low elevation beds as NIGHT beds. Most higher elevation beds as DAY beds.

I have heard rublines leading away from food sources, points the direction towards DAY BEDS???

Does anyone have any information you could share on DAYTIME vs NIGHT TIME BEDS?

gjs4
500 Club

Re: DAYIME vs NIGHT TIME BEDS

Unread postby gjs4 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:38 pm

not to hijack- but would love to find out for flat landers how day vs night differ in grassy fields...my best bet so far is if i jump one it was a day bed....
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:44 pm

Once again I feel like an idiot, but a light just went off. I kinda was picturing bucks bedding in the same spot all day and then getting up right before dark, feeding, then coming back before light in the morning. Are night beds where they bed down and chew their cud and then go back out and feed before returning to their day bed?
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:15 am

Brad Lamont wrote:Once again I feel like an idiot, but a light just went off. I kinda was picturing bucks bedding in the same spot all day and then getting up right before dark, feeding, then coming back before light in the morning. Are night beds where they bed down and chew their cud and then go back out and feed before returning to their day bed?

Yep, you will sometimes find beds in the food source, these are usually night beds where they chew their cuds. Deer have evolved to fill their paunch quickly and then settle down and chew thier cud which is essentially finishing the chewing process.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:32 am

They seem to bed down a couple times a night right after feeding to chew there cud. Night beds are usually in or close to major food sources. Until seeing the recent bed pictures posted, I always thought these were more random beds, and still think most are...
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:48 am

I had a bunch of night time pictures of bucks bedded on trail camera last year. Unfortunately I didn't save them. It was interesting as other bucks would smell where the bucks bedded. It was strictly as Dan said they were close to a feeding area, not to be confused with day time beds. I did save one picture of a buck sniffing where the other bucks had bedded.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:09 pm

Stanley thats a dandy deer, and an awesome pic...love the homebrew shots!

On the bedding topic, I do some volunteer work inside a Military Installation. You can drive through there all the way up until daybreak, and see deer bedding in the same fields they are feeding in. Once daylight breaks they slowly begin their tracks into the woodlots, ditches, railroad grown up areas, etc.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”