Scouting from Kuwait

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Matt3

Scouting from Kuwait

Unread postby Matt3 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:16 am

Hey guys doing a little bit of scouting from Kuwait. This area I am listing I will be able to hunt when I get home. This is not private but land on a military installation. Others will be able to hunt this property and will have the chance to hunt it a full 4 weeks before I get home.....This is an archery only area.

Please take a look at the pictures and tell me what you think, how you would approach it without being able to get in there prior to do any scouting etc. What winds, direction of travel to get in or out etc.

Here is a rundown of the property.
The green border is the hunting area i have access to.
The area north of the northern green border is a fenced in area, no hunting no access high fence
The orange are different fields
The purple is a brushy field
The white to the west is a paintball field
The white to the east is a building with open property
the red is power lines
Blue is streams
Field one you can see lots of deer in in the morning as well as the evening.
Field two is a horse pasture that you will see deer in to the middle to western area.
Field three you rarely see deer in.
Have not been able to observe far west or far east fields.
The area to the west of the far west field is a camping area.

I have looked at the topo which is included and inserted where i THINK beds might be based on terrain. NO actual confirmation of any bedding sites.

Here are the pics. Thanks for any help. This will be hunted last week of October on forward.

Matt

And one topo for you guys to mess around with :)

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: Scouting from Kuwait

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:55 am

I don’t like the road accessing from the west up on top, that along with hunters having hit the property for a number of weeks prior to your arrival will likely have the bucks holding tight to bedding until very close to dark.

I like that bed on the north side of the creek in the northwest corner of the property… with any kind of an east wind he can bed there and use the wind to protect his rear… thermals to protect from below… more importantly he can watch across the ravine for human pressure up on top. He can easily stage at dark to the creek for a drink, either to the side or downhill. I would expect him to move toward food from there.

Another spot I like are the beds above the brushy field… I also wouldn’t rule out bedding in the brush itself. If bedded above, a buck could stage down (he may move laterally before descending) to does in the brushy areas or stage before moving to food. If a buck is bedded in the brushy field itself I would expect him to stage to its edge closest to his preferred food source at that time of the year, especially if that direction does not have a favorable wind for him to exit to a more open area.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:40 pm

I know this might sound crazy, but figure a way to get over that high fence and enjoy having the other hunters push the deer to you.
I would bet my right eye you will be successful if you play the wind right!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Matt3

Unread postby Matt3 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:44 pm

By it being a high fence on a military base yeah you don't want to sneak in there :) they don't take kindly to people sneaking into off limits sectors.

[ Post made via iPod ] Image
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:53 pm

I thought you where a sniper, come on live a little 101st! ;)

Maybe dig a hole then...
Matt3

Unread postby Matt3 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:04 pm

Edcyclopedia wrote:I thought you where a sniper, come on live a little 101st! ;)

Maybe dig a hole then...

Lol I wanna keep my hunting privs.
Here is what the last poachers that were caught had killed.......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtK4eZm_ ... ata_player

An amazing display of 10 plus years of poaching.... Think they just got slapped on the wrist too will look today at work.

When I get there I will read in depth what has been written so far too. On bus being driven at 4am by a crazy driver......

[ Post made via iPod ] Image
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:20 pm

That's friggen horrible!
Matt3

Unread postby Matt3 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:46 am

Thanks singing bridge, I was looking at those areas but I don't see how I can get in there without them detecting me, especially when the wind is right for them to be in the beds. If I knew the exact one they were in that would be one thing but going in blind I just don't know. If I hunt a slight off wind I would be ok for the bed I am hunting but there is a cluster of potential spots to the north. If I pick the wrong one I am busted. Would it be best to say start at the furtheest bed to the north west set up for that one if no luck on the next sit set up for the next bed in line and so forth? I don't want to over pressurize it but I don't see many options.

Access routes are going to be hard as well. I think my first time in will be a night sit. Maybe get to an observation spot in the morning see what I can see and then move in in the evening based off that? I just don't think I will see much in the fields as the season will have already been going for a bit. Maybe with a north east wind I can come in from the north and get close enough to the two beds just to the west of the purple/brushy field? A north west wind might be better then I can go to the east of those two beds and have my scent go over the far eastern part of the brushy field where I suspect there could be doe bedding.....

Just not sure. Dan if you can maybe critique this spot a bit for me? I think there is potential as I see tons of deer in those fields including good bucks. We are not allowed to shine so I can't scout that way either when I get home.

Thanks for any help everyone.

Matt

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Matt3

Unread postby Matt3 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:42 am

I have been staring at this piece for that last almost two hours and made some adjustments. For the beds I put what wind direction I think they are using them on. I tried to delete the previous images but couldn't for some reason.

Matt3

Unread postby Matt3 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:45 pm

A little more info about the property that I have learned. The white circle I have on the South West part of the property overlooking the western field is actually a skeet range. To the west out of the picture inside of a mile is several fields that rotate between corn and beans. Not sure what they will be this year. The far south west corner of the picture is a training course. One of my friends told me that he usually sees a bunch of deer come out of that area, cross the street going north. Field two is actually fenced in for horses which does not stop the deer of course ut that might make for something to check to see where they are accessing the field from.

A spot I have been considering is on a south east wind, take the creek bed from the east walk that west then north and get in e pinch point between field 2 and the western field. Either that, which is not beast style or maybe pick a corner like the north west bed, hunt that, then move east hunt that and continue to start at he edges and work my way in.

A concern i have is the rut will be fast approaching by the time I am home. Should I look for cruising spots instead of hunting beds? Maybe the hill to the north of the purple as I think that is some doe bedding?

As you can see lots of things are going through my mind about this property.

Matt

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:14 pm

Matt3 wrote:Thanks singing bridge, Would it be best to say start at the furtheest bed to the north west set up for that one if no luck on the next sit set up for the next bed in line and so forth? I don't want to over pressurize it but I don't see many options.

Hunting the beds from the outside in, or "stacking" the interior beds, is an excellent tactic. Keep in mind that a single hunt may eliminate the potential of more than one bedding area depending on conditions present at the time of the hunt. I'll be looking forward to your reports on this hunt!
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:13 pm

Matt3

Thank you for your service to our Country! Fort Campbell can really produce some giants (as you know)
I hope you can put your hands around some giant antlers this fall!

I have a map of the Fort marked up with locations that have been good to me and my friends.
I have not hunted there since 2006 on a juvi hunt for my daughter.

I may be able to scan it to you...its a large map though, so I may have to cut it and send to you then you can print and reattach it together

Just let me know.
Matt3

Unread postby Matt3 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:30 pm

That would be awesome blackstrap. There was a girl a few years ago on a youth hunt that shot like a 180+ or something with a muzzle loader. The deer are there it's just finding which area to hunt then being able to draw that area. I am really looking forward to putting good time in this year. I am going to pm you.

Matt

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:58 pm

Here is my thoughts on the field #1 area... Red dots indicate my guesses on bedding positions for bucks. I would consider sitting a strategic observation stand to see if bucks cross the cleared telephone line area if the brush is not to think to see. Then move in when you see what you want and mark a tree from a distance.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:56 pm

I like these two potential beds based on the topo... I think they are a little farther off the beaten path...

I wouldn't doubt it if this corner is over looked, especially cause of all the cutting and the building with workers. The woodlots I circled might have a good bed in them. This is a spot where again, a strategic sit in an observation stand or two from a distance might be the perfect way to figure out exactly where you should sit without boogering it up..

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”