lots of pic's of nothing

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dreaming bucks

lots of pic's of nothing

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:47 pm

I put all my cameras this year (4) on field edges so they wouldn't be in the woods where I hunt. I pulled the cards this last weekend, & I had a ton of daytime pics of nothing there. I'm guessing it's because of the sunlight setting them off. Do you guys run into trouble of wasted pics when you set them up on field edges ?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Brad

Re: lots of pic's of nothing

Unread postby Brad » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:55 pm

I had a lot of problems with branches moving last year that were 10 feet or so in front of the cam, took me about 15 pics to figure out what was happening.
P&YBuck1
500 Club

Unread postby P&YBuck1 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:56 pm

I was told to avoid pointing cameras toward the east and west due to the effects of the sun rising and setting. I have abided by this rule and it has worked well for me.
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:02 pm

My early july pull had a few (?4500) thousand pics with about 10 fair buck pics... improved the last rnd with abotu 10 good buck pics in 1500.

I rather deal with garbage pics to get the good ones when/where i want them then the idea camera spot and compromise the research though
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:31 pm

Ya, it's not a huge deal, just trying to figure out why is all.... you could be right Brad, I will check for weeds and such in front of camera... maybe I shiuld change angle of cam also, might help for sun..

[ Post made via Android ] Image
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:33 pm

thinking my stealthcams have been alot more sensative due to high temps and wind triggering
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
G3s
500 Club

Unread postby G3s » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:42 pm

I had about 4000 pics when I pulled my cards last week and I would say 2800 of them were wind pics with nothing but weeds in them...I took a weed wacker out this time and took care of that problem..hopefully it helps
SouthernHunter

Unread postby SouthernHunter » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:23 pm

What type of camera are you using. I think most cameras nowadays use a PIR sensor which detects body heat of whatever passes by. I could be wrong but I don't think they since motion alone. There has to be a change in heat also. I have gotten some pics with what appeared to be nothing there. I always use the burst mode set at 9 pics per trigger. I may not be able to make anything out in the first pic but after a couple more I can sometimes see its a mouse or something moving in the distance. They may advertise a 50 ft range but I have gotten pictures of deer that were far away from the camera and barely visible in the pic.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:59 pm

I place my cameras in the shade of the timber canopy. Less wind and less sunlight to prompt false triggers.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:09 am

SouthernHunter wrote:What type of camera are you using. I think most cameras nowadays use a PIR sensor which detects body heat of whatever passes by. I could be wrong but I don't think they since motion alone. There has to be a change in heat also. I have gotten some pics with what appeared to be nothing there. I always use the burst mode set at 9 pics per trigger. I may not be able to make anything out in the first pic but after a couple more I can sometimes see its a mouse or something moving in the distance. They may advertise a 50 ft range but I have gotten pictures of deer that were far away from the camera and barely visible in the pic.

I have 3 moultrie's and 1 bushnell, and they all seemed to be doing it...... I'm wondering if the extreme heat did have something to do with it.... I will see how the next card pull goes, hopefully better. Not a big deal deleting them off the card, but I'm guessing all those extra pictures don't help on the battery life, but I am running rechargeables, so not a cost issue there either, just the pain of changing out batteries earlier than normal...

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”