deer bedding question

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

backstraps

deer bedding question

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:50 am

I spent the better part of the weekend scouting using my topo as a reference to help me understand map reading.

I hope I can explain this; I was scouting a ridge that runs from SW to NE

I came to a shallow saddle that only dropped 60 feet in elevation. Wind is prevailing N / NE. at the time I was scouting the wind was blowing 4mph into NNE I jumped several deer. I walked over onto the SW facing saddle and there were 9 fresh does beds. With the wind blowing directly to their face and about 30 elevation behind them. This was noon....88 degrees Just over the 30foot elevation were three buxk beds...one was huge.

I understand the bucks beds just over the rise but the does that ran off...were they depending on the bucks to "have their backs"

Is this common?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Black Squirrel
500 Club

Re: deer bedding question

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:54 am

Could you tell what direction the beds were facing? Usually does will all bed in a different direction, and depend on one another to detect danger. In other words does are not as dependant on wind direction for bedding. they were probably there to help keep cool.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:04 am

The beds were actually in a circle like Dans video described...two beds must have been fawns. They were bedding in some hig grass growing in the saddle

[ Post made via Android ] Image
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:24 pm

The buck beds were all facing the same direction, they were all about 10 yards apart from one another. The direction they were facing was basically like they were quartered away severely and the wind would have been hitting them on the left hand side, probably in the rear quarter..if that makes sense.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”