Trailcam Placement

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Pullintoobs
500 Club

Trailcam Placement

Unread postby Pullintoobs » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:23 am

Alot of us use trailcams, probably most of us at some point. Most of us seem to be in agreement that we do not place cams at actual hunting sites. How far away from your actual stand site do you feel comfortable putting them? Certainly this is one of those " it depends" questions, but I am curious how far you put your cams away. Do you not put them there because of the scent you would lay by checking them, or is it fear that the cam itself will spook the deer?

An unforseen future...Nestled somewhere in time
Brad

Re: Trailcam Placement

Unread postby Brad » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:30 am

I usually try and put mine out in the crop fields or the edges, I don't think one would necessarily have to go too far away from the cam to be successful, I think it would be very similar to the deer patterning the cam much like they would a tree stand and making a loop around it. I could see spots where 40 or 50 yards might be all it takes.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:32 am

I try to put them where deer expect human activity, where deer move and feed at night...
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:32 am

I try to place them where the expect to find human scent. For example on field edges, along logging or trails. Occasionally, I will place them over a bed and leave them there a long time, to get an idea what and why a deer is using it. I realize I may be sacrificing the bed for a season, but the knowledge you can gan from this for future seasons is worth it in my opinion. I don't use white flash cameras in this situation and try to get them higher than usual. I also place them over mineral in summer and corn late season to take inventory. These areas are easy access, usually close to the edge of the woods.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”