Hit List Ten pointer...shinned 7/6/12

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ozzz

Re: Hit List Ten pointer...shinned 7/6/12

Unread postby ozzz » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:36 am

How far away from your actual hunting areas are you guys shining/glassing and thinking you could have a shot at a deer you see?

If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:39 am

Dewey wrote:Looks like a decent buck BigHunt. Hope you can get him figured out by opening day. 8-)

I was out shining last night as well from 11:00-2:00.......man what a warm night. It was still 85 degrees when I started! :shock: I saw a total of 78 deer but only a few good bucks. All of the rest were does, fawns and young bucks. The weird thing is that around here they still don't seem to be feeding in the beans like they normally would be by now. Not sure if the drought conditions have affected the maturity of the plants for them to eat or what is going on. :?

Many of the deer I saw were feeding in alfalfa fields or just hanging around in corn fields kinda like you saw in your video. Quite a few of the deer I saw were related to water.........river, creek and marsh ditches which is what my main focus was on due to the excessive heat. The crop fields near water were full of deer and I saw a few drinking water along the shorelines.

Like I said I saw a few good shooter bucks but nothing like I normally would for that time of the night. I think the big boys were laying low and staying cool deep in the swamps.

x2

The drought is definetly affecting something with beans... new growth alfalfa is HOT right now for sightings
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:43 am

ozzz wrote:How far away from your actual hunting areas are you guys shining/glassing and thinking you could have a shot at a deer you see?

This field is only 200 hundred yards from the bedding areas.... Only a road separates the field from the public.... The deer was literaly only 70 yards or so out of the public...... When he took off he went right back into the marsh..... By all means that doesn't mean he's bedding there, it's just a good chance... It was 130 in the mouring

[ Post made via iPod ] Image
Last edited by BigHunt on Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:48 am

Hey bigboy, you sound bummed he ran to the public land? Just think, its another buck on another piece of ground you can hunt and not burn out your private land.

Also those fox have good ears, he appeared to hear you and your girlfriend kissing. :lol:
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:53 am

kenn1320 wrote:Hey bigboy, you sound bummed he ran to the public land? Just think, its another buck on another piece of ground you can hunt and not burn out your private land.

Also those fox have good ears, he appeared to hear you and your girlfriend kissing. :lol:

Bummed not at all.... I'm glad he did , If you read my original post I said I had located some bedding areas near by and I suspect him to be in there..... But I'm not sure

[ Post made via iPod ] Image
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:31 am

Nice buck BH! Goodluck with him this year.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:53 am

Why were you clucking like a chicken at the buck? :lol:
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:19 am

DEERSLAYER wrote:I sure wish we could shine all night like you can in Wisconsin. We have to quit by 11:00pm which makes it difficult to do it right.

Alfalfa has a very deep root system so it can pull up water from deep down. This allows the plant to take more heat and still be actively growing which makes it more attractive vs a dormant soybean bean plant. That is probably why you are seeing the deer hanging out in it.

I just wish we could shine any at all at night... Well at least we can "moonshine" in our hills ;)

NICE Looking deer Big Hunt!
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:21 pm

dan wrote:Why were you clucking like a chicken at the buck? :lol:

huh????

got it to stop right :mrgreen:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”