Shining - timing is critical IMO

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Z7WIBoy

Shining - timing is critical IMO

Unread postby Z7WIBoy » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:27 pm

I have gone shining 3 times in the last 2 weeks. First 2 were about an hour after sundown. Saw a couple of deer but nothing awesome. I went out at 1:00 AM last night and to say wow is an understatement. Saw roughly 40 deer and these are all fields across the road or crp in the public spots I plan to hunt. 2 places i shined are incredible - one of them had a bachelor group with 2 large 10s and a 6 in the group. Another spot had 2 really nice 8s and awesome spike - they were about a foot and a half tall and no signs of other stickers. What is amazing is how close to the road these deer were. I tried to get photos and footage with phone but driving, shining, and working a cell phone are tough. I totally understand now why Dan shines at all hours of the night - it really helps with putting the pieces together and also confirms spring efforts were accurate.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Platinum PETA Member
(People Eating Tasty Animals)
BigHunt

Re: Shining - timing is critical IMO

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:29 pm

8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:47 pm

As warm as it has been I don't even start shining until after midnight. I am amazed the number of larger bucks I see later.

Once it gets closer to the season I will be shining earlier to pattern bucks for opening day. All I am doing now is taking inventory to get a starting point so I know which spots to focus on later.

Z7WIBoy

Unread postby Z7WIBoy » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:17 pm

Good info there Dewey

Platinum PETA Member
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:09 pm

I took my boy out once about 9 pm and we didn't see much! It was one of those sultry nights though. Maybe next time I'll try later....

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:54 am

What food sources are hot right now, ie where are you spotting the most deer? Most of our corn is too tall right now. I would assume beans and alfalfa are the ticket right now.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:17 am

Black Squirrel wrote:What food sources are hot right now, ie where are you spotting the most deer? Most of our corn is too tall right now. I would assume beans and alfalfa are the ticket right now.

beans and alfalfa are certainly the hang outs right now, but big bucks are often found browsing on native plants too.. So don't dismiss crp fields and other openings.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:27 am

Z7WIBoy wrote:I have gone shining 3 times in the last 2 weeks. First 2 were about an hour after sundown. Saw a couple of deer but nothing awesome. I went out at 1:00 AM last night and to say wow is an understatement. Saw roughly 40 deer and these are all fields across the road or crp in the public spots I plan to hunt. 2 places i shined are incredible - one of them had a bachelor group with 2 large 10s and a 6 in the group. Another spot had 2 really nice 8s and awesome spike - they were about a foot and a half tall and no signs of other stickers. What is amazing is how close to the road these deer were. I tried to get photos and footage with phone but driving, shining, and working a cell phone are tough. I totally understand now why Dan shines at all hours of the night - it really helps with putting the pieces together and also confirms spring efforts were accurate.

It could have possibly had something to do with the moon overhead ( moon transit ) that night too. For me in southern WI , the transit that night was 11:30pm...

I looked up when the transit best lines up with the sunset the next 5 months, just to go glassing at night before dark, or to go hunting later on for evening sits, and this is what I came up with....

June 29th
Moon transit.... 8:29pm
sunset....... 8:44pm

July 27th
Moon transit.... 8:17pm
sunset....... 8:27pm

Aug 25th
Moon transit..... 8:09pm
sunset........ 7:46pm

Sept 22nd
Moon transit.... 7:03pm
sunset........ 6:57pm

Oct 20th
Moon transit..... 5:54pm
sunset........ 6:08pm

Nov 18th
Moon transit...... 4:35pm
sunset........... 4:33pm

So, hopefully good action at these times, whether you are scouting or hunting in the later months listed.... It should also be pretty good a day before and after the dates listed....
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:56 am

I have noticed here the daytime and dawn/dusk sighting are not crops....but after dark are..... havent gone out late/early yet...guessing temps have a lot to do with it too.

Great post and research...you have me ready for that 1 am alarm!!!
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
Z7WIBoy

Unread postby Z7WIBoy » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:40 am

dan wrote:
Black Squirrel wrote:What food sources are hot right now, ie where are you spotting the most deer? Most of our corn is too tall right now. I would assume beans and alfalfa are the ticket right now.

beans and alfalfa are certainly the hang outs right now, but big bucks are often found browsing on native plants too.. So don't dismiss crp fields and other openings.

Most of the big bucks I have shined so far have been either been in CRP or Beans. I saw a ton of eyes in the CRP that night just couldn't tell what they where.
Good reminder to us Dan :clap:
Platinum PETA Member
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:53 am

Z7WIBoy wrote:
dan wrote:

Most of the big bucks I have shined so far have been either been in CRP or Beans. I saw a ton of eyes in the CRP that night just couldn't tell what they where.
Good reminder to us Dan :clap:

Last time I went shining was a few night ago and every deer I saw was feeding in alfalfa fields and nothing in beans. :?
Kinda a surprised because normally around here they are hitting the beans pretty good by now.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:37 am

If you pay close attention while shining or glassing you will notice that certain spots within the feild are where the deer will be, or heading too, most of the time.
Deer seem to be attracted to certain plants, or areas within the fields that are better fertilized, or for some reason have better tasting plants. They do the same thing with oak trees. They will walk right past two oaks to get to a certain one. This is why its important to properly fertilize food plots and even certain trees on your properties.
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:00 am

dan wrote:If you pay close attention while shining or glassing you will notice that certain spots within the feild are where the deer will be, or heading too, most of the time.
Deer seem to be attracted to certain plants, or areas within the fields that are better fertilized, or for some reason have better tasting plants. They do the same thing with oak trees. They will walk right past two oaks to get to a certain one. This is why its important to properly fertilize food plots and even certain trees on your properties.

Good point. Do you see this to be the case/"pattern" at all times (ie season) ?

I havenoticed that they all also prefer windy areas or areas that do not hold bugs to browse. Theyll be scooting flipping their ears everywhich way and then all of a sudden stop walking and moving their ears....
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:07 am

hitting the sack early tonight .....waking up at 2 am to go out shinning 8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:17 am

BigHunt wrote:hitting the sack early tonight .....waking up at 2 am to go out shinning 8-)

I will be out around that time too! Hope we see some slobs getting a late night snack during the coolest part of the night.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”