Grade Your 2010 Whitetail Scouting

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

What grade would give your 2010 whitetail scouting?

Total votes: 0
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Grade Your 2010 Whitetail Scouting

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri May 14, 2010 9:56 am

How would you grade your 2010 whitetail scouting so far? I'm not talking about aerial's/topo's etc.- but boots on the ground scouting? Details as to why you selected the grade are appreciated! 8-)

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Grade Your 2010 Whitetail Scouting

Unread postby dan » Fri May 14, 2010 10:02 am

I gave myself a "d" I got out and kicked around on 7 or 8 new areas, but did not get a few I wanted done, and did not put a full effort in. Been really busy. :(
Beauford

Unread postby Beauford » Fri May 14, 2010 10:37 am

I gave myself a C it seems like it is always busy. My two kids are in a traveling basketball teams that played every weekend till March and my daughter made a traveling softball team and they started practice the 1st of the year on the weekends. It is not like years back when I could walk for days on end. I did make it out and even manged to get stuck in a bog marsh.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Fri May 14, 2010 1:13 pm

I,m giving myself an A . I found more good areas this year than ever . Good thing too,cause I just found out a lease we hunt has just been lost.It is actually a cattle pasture my dad rents ,but I guess would got out about the hunting and now someone has gave the owner a offer he could,nt refuse just to secure the Hunting rights.Sad part my dad now does,nt have any pasture for his cattle .It will be empty until deer season.Good thing I found Dan,s Marsh Hunting when I did.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri May 14, 2010 1:43 pm

I'm giving myself a solid C. A very Average year of scouting for me so far. I did manage to shore up some stand locations which I'm very glad about. I also managed to set up a few new areas that are very promising. But, I also failed to find a good set up in a couple of areas I scouted out, and didn't get to several other areas I had hoped to.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Fri May 14, 2010 3:57 pm

Found another bed today,

can't get a grade until class ends. :lol:

marty
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat May 15, 2010 1:37 am

Spring semester is over, Zap- what's your grade? :mrgreen:

Swampthing- don't forget to vote your "A" up above- sounds like you've got a lot to look forward to this fall. 8-)
blackwolf
500 Club

Unread postby blackwolf » Sat May 15, 2010 4:29 am

Had to take a D, stuck at home recovering knee replacement! Only consolation is I am taking an A+ from last years scouting into this fall. Can't wait, if only this knee would hurry up and get better! Jim
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Sat May 15, 2010 6:04 am

im going with A only because i really figured out some good stuff on the property im hunting in kenosha. now i just have to execute properly in the fall. so time will tell for sure but i am excited for sure.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Sat May 15, 2010 8:07 am

I live in NY and don't hunt here much. Most of my hunting is done out of state, so I don't put in much "boot" time here. It's not worth it where I live. On a scale of one to ten, I give my county less than one for mature buck potential. There has never been a B&C entry for my county.

I wish I could scout year round on the places I hunt. I just scout when I get there, and build on previous years knowledge.

I don't know why you're not counting studying maps and ariels, that's a huge part of how I do my thing.

I will be hunting for a month out of state. It's tough but someone has to do it. :D
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat May 15, 2010 10:28 am

I agree with Spysar, aerials and topo's are VERY important for hunting- especially away from your home areas. With this poll I want to take a look at the physical part of scouting many of us do, laying down the boot leather!
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Sat May 15, 2010 2:05 pm

I would have to give myself an A. I got tons of scouting done this past spring and left no questions in my mind left unanswered. Never felt more confident!!

It will be interesting.... I will have to bump this post back up in December and see how it all played out for everyone. 8-)
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Sun May 16, 2010 6:54 am

spysar , never underestimate an area for potential. i believe any area has potential. when i started hunting one of my counties for convenience cause its near home i also noticed it had nothing in the books . but that didnt stop me cause i wanted to hunt.i quickly realized the true potential in the area once i got the right spot to hunt. its very hard gaining permission in metro areas. in my honest opinion metro areas are some of the best spots out there, little to no pressure .this county i speak of shortly after i started hunting it a guy dropped a 216 gross typical netted around 197 and some change. only booner ever listed in that county. still i know people are shooting big ones and not listing them as i myself would probably do. anyways my point is you can find potential anywhere.
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Mon May 17, 2010 3:25 am

I gave myself a C even though it was the best scouting season I have ever had. I found 5 bedding areas that I didn't even know existed on a property I have hunted my whole life and know like the back of my hand. However I didn't locate a single confirmed Buck bedding area and I didn't get to almost any of the other locations I wanted to get to before green up.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue May 18, 2010 3:14 am

I did o.k. I found a couple new bedding areas, but It seemed like we had so much snow in late winter, and then all of the sudden it was gone, and green up came awful early this year. :( I guess I just wasn't on the ball this year.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”