Grade Your 2010 Whitetail Scouting

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

What grade would give your 2010 whitetail scouting?

Total votes: 0
PLB
500 Club

Re: Grade Your 2010 Whitetail Scouting

Unread postby PLB » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:49 am

I gave myself a C grade. Didn't get out as much as I had hoped but when I did I felt it was productive ;)

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
martin peters

Unread postby martin peters » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:10 am

I graded myself a C. Most of the scouting I logged was from Dec. 2009 to March 2010. Since the snow melted off and now that the bugs are thick, along with increased spring / summer activities I have slacked off on the scouting. I have two for sure P&Y prospects and most likely 3, the 3rd I have not seen.......yet.
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:13 pm

I gave myself a B. I scouted in a very methodical way this off-season beginning the day after the hunting season ended. I put more miles on my boots than ever before, and the "big picture" stood out in my mind more than I can ever remember. The only reason I did not give myself an A is because it snowed so much that I could barely scout in February due to the 30-40 inches of snow being left on the ground for the entire month. I picked it back up in March and April. I found buck beds for the first time, doe beds, and stood in places where I thought the deer were bedding to get a visual of what they see when they bed. I have never taken my scouting to that level. I poured over topo and aerial maps to the point where I wanted to punch myself in the face because I was so addicted. I am going to pick it back up for a month or so starting this weekend. For each solid spot I found I tried to get 3-4 stand sites picked out, so I could just slip in and hunt the wind to my advantage. I am ready to put a piece of carbon through somethings ribs. Success or not this year I know I put in the effort.
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:55 am

I am giving myself a b+. I laid a lot of tracks again this year. I brushed 85% of my stands and found a couple new areas. I was able to get into places that have been in my dreams for the past couple years. The only reason I didn't give myself an A is because I haven't spent as much time in observation stands as I should be. Have 2 new trail cams on the way, A Roscoby cam and camera arm is being picked up tomorrow, new Alpha for my Bride will be here late august. I picked up all the SD cards i believe I will need, a video camera will be purchased by the end of July. I am done living on "some day I'll", it's time to start working on getting my kills on video.
hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:35 pm

I give myself an E!!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”