tips on virgin land, out of state

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

backstraps

tips on virgin land, out of state

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:21 am

I have been studying maps, and came up with a couple questions.

Basically would like to know what you do to prepare yourself in a situation like this:

If you were going out of state to hunt. You prescouted several bedding areas and have trees picked out. The state doesnt allow shining, and the property is basically big mature timber. There isnt a vantage point near by to glass....how would you determine which of your bedding areas you would hunt?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

PLB
500 Club

Re: tips on virgin land, out of state

Unread postby PLB » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:20 am

I would hunt them all starting with the one that works best for the prevailing wind direction for the time of season you plan to be out of state hunting.I would also look for the bedding area that is not easily accessible to other hunters. I would walk in with stand on back and hunt the best looking bedding area the first day and start knocking them down in the following days. The first day I would not want too push the envelope and bump the buck because even though you know the general bedding area, you probably don't know the exact bed he is using based on cyber scouting only. You can start out at the transition line and always adjust accordingly if you have a suspicion he's in there and just not moving to your location until after dark.
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:29 am

I LOVE THIS WEBSITE!!

I understand what youre saying with the exception of the transition area...do you mean for instance where the woods meets the heavy crp fields?

jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:27 am

backstraps wrote:I LOVE THIS WEBSITE!!

I understand what youre saying with the exception of the transition area...do you mean for instance where the woods meets the heavy crp fields?

A transition is any change, even different tree types within hardwoods.

I am doing what your original post talks about this fall. My take is that because I will be in the rut time frame I am focusing this year on funnels with winds that will work for me and the deers advantage. As one doesnt pan out I will move on. In the process of doing so, I will check potential beds.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:47 am

backstraps wrote:I have been studying maps, and came up with a couple questions.

Basically would like to know what you do to prepare yourself in a situation like this:

If you were going out of state to hunt. [glow=red]You prescouted several bedding areas and have trees picked out.[/glow]The state doesnt allow shining, and the property is basically big mature timber. There isnt a vantage point near by to glass....how would you determine which of your bedding areas you would hunt?

I would trust my scouting and hunt based on what I learned when I pre-scouted the area.

Scouting beds, is more than just finding a bed and a tree...
Its getting in the bedroom and figuring out:
why a buck beds there.
when a buck beds there
what wind a buck prefers there

What Im getting at is the clues in the bedding area should give you some assumptions about when to hunt a spot. Some bucks beds ( primary ) are good all season, some are only good on certain winds, some are used in conjunction with certain crops or mast... Its a puzzle that you need to try to find the answers to while your scouting that bed...

If I were going out of state without having pre-scouted, I would also trust my map scouting unless I saw something better when I got there...
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:16 am

Food sources and water come and go. I would look for the spot where the food, water, and cover are best for the time of year. Still use the spots you found, but ask yourself "why would a buck be here?" The spot with the best answers to those questions would be my starting point. Another thing I do, is rule out unlikely spots. If you have 100 acres, and 50 of it is not good deer country, then rule it out for now, and consentrate on the 50 you think is best.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”