Odd bedding areas for mature bucks...

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

gjs4
500 Club

Re: Odd bedding areas for mature bucks...

Unread postby gjs4 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:24 pm

Whether it is a field or a swamp I head for lone trees and brush clumps when scouting
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:26 pm

You're on fire tonight dan! Solid bumps!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Badger
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/allen.krelwitz

Unread postby Badger » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:38 pm

I don't know how odd this is but I know of a bed that is just deep divot in the middle of really thick cover. deep enough that the buck can look around with only his head above ground level. I don't know what made it but it don't seem natural, It's a perfect set up location wise. For the buck not me :confusion-shrug:
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:40 am

Cool thread. I don't think there are many mature bucks out there that got to be 5, 6 years old just by luck - if there is much hunting pressure at all.

Most of the big buck core areas I find are in one of two categories - either really far from hunter access, or so close to access points they are overlooked. One big buck I found recently routinely beds in the top of two little draws on a big chunk of public land. Its close to the parking lot, and a parade of hunters walk right by these two little draws heading for the big timber just beyond them. I jumped the buck from there this spring scouting, and found his tracks all along the field edges near there this summer. He appears to be an extreme homebody buck from what I can tell. It will be a very difficult set up, but I will be giving it a try.
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:35 am

I saw a good on for my area about 80-100 yds downwind of a heavily used bike trail and he didn't bust til I stopped to relax-that made him nervous

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Sweet Shot 7
500 Club

Unread postby Sweet Shot 7 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:59 am

I have a big buck on camera and I belive he is bedding in the small woodlot right by the road!
SouthernHunter

Unread postby SouthernHunter » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:04 pm

I look back on the many times I've seen deer crossing the road and a lot if the times later I find out there is a bed very close to where they crossed. If there is any hunting pressure or even just road or ATV traffic in the area it seems bucks will bed were they can keep an eye on it. I've been noticing a lone, larger bodied deer that's been taking off after I get out of the car where I normally park. Its on a little slither of thick woods that's sandwiched between a creek and the dirt road I drive in on and everyone parks and walks past. I would bet money that its an older age buck.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:01 pm

Bump...any success on these odd locations?

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:55 pm

justdirtyfun wrote:Bump...any success on these odd locations?

The majority of my big buck success comes from spots that are over looked, where most people would not expect any deer.
Bowhunter74201

Unread postby Bowhunter74201 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:44 am

another thing i always look for, both while on foot and cyber scouting, is cellar holes. old foundations, they'll usually have a 4-6' depression in the middle. i've busted deer out of them on more than one occasion.
basspro05
500 Club

Unread postby basspro05 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:19 am

This situation happened before I found the beast...

I was walking out of a bean field on some public ground a while back to the no maintenance farm road waiting for my friend to pick me up...I walked up to the bridge that crosses the big creek, and I heard a very large animal crash through the brush under the bridge and into the woods along side the bean field...it was too dark out to see what it was.

I told my friend that I thought it had to be a deer bedded under the bridge, because it sounded so big, we both just laughed and thought no way it would be there...

this thread is going to make me go back and check under that freaking bridge.

Every person who hunts the property parks there truck on the bridge and heads to the beans or the woods.
csgrizz

Unread postby csgrizz » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:02 am

basspro05 wrote:This situation happened before I found the beast...

I was walking out of a bean field on some public ground a while back to the no maintenance farm road waiting for my friend to pick me up...I walked up to the bridge that crosses the big creek, and I heard a very large animal crash through the brush under the bridge and into the woods along side the bean field...it was too dark out to see what it was.

I told my friend that I thought it had to be a deer bedded under the bridge, because it sounded so big, we both just laughed and thought no way it would be there...

this thread is going to make me go back and check under that freaking bridge.

Every person who hunts the property parks there truck on the bridge and heads to the beans or the woods.

I knew of a "up and coming" 8 pt that had selected a shelf under an old rail tie bridge, there was barely enough ground to stay dry and I used that bridge for access many times. I finally saw him go in there one morning and never thought he was bedding there, but found it strange he was walking in the creek. One day I stopped on the bridge after a morning hunt to look at some woodducks and he came busting out of there right under my feet! Made me wonder how many times I had walked right over him. Unfortunately he did not return the next year when I felt he would of been fully mature.

On another note...I have literally 4 miles of flat farm land between my back yard and the next tree line. There was one fence pole with about a bath tub sized spot of grass/weeds on the corner of a property out in that flat ground (we are talking 1000s of acres of corn/bean stubble and nothing else, no trees or structure)...and for the first 4 years I lived there, a large buck bedded right there. He was more than a mile from any timber at all, started noticing him one year while glassing geese. Tried to figure out a way to get my bow in my layout blind, but never did find a way to get close to him. I assume he was the same old deer every year, but they took out the fence post and I never saw him again.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:01 pm

I have a cabin on concrete pilasters. The cabin is 3' above ground on one side and 6" on the other side. One day after coming in from hunting and not seeing anyting, I hear a metal 5 gal. bucket bang under the cabin. Thinking I can finally shoot that dang coon, ( sorry Carol) I look under and there is a doe getting the heck out from under my cabin. It ran into the woods a bit and looked back at me for a few minutes while I sttod in amazement. Then just walked off. Dang good spot for a deer to hide. That deer watched me walk for 50 yds to the cabin steps.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”