Video on deer responses to cameras

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Video on deer responses to cameras

Unread postby dan » Mon May 14, 2012 1:00 pm

Human scent spooks them more than the sight of the camera... The deer reacting to the "dead" camera could still be smelling human scent on it in my opinion, it was only two weeks... I have noticed big differences in reactions of different types of cameras. Some make noise, and others the type of flash gives them away... Basically, negative reactions of cameras from deer usually come when the camera is placed in daylight or hunting areas... The reactions are a lot different when the cameras are placed in areas where the deer are ok with human scent and human activity.
Trail cameras are one of the biggest factors keeping some people from killing big bucks because of the way they use them.

jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Mon May 14, 2012 11:22 pm

The guy who created the video on the other forum said that he saw much different results on the field edge and with cams that are pretty much in the same spot year round as if they learn to tolerate it.

If theyre that touchy after two weeks about human scent its not a wonder that ground scent gets you busted so easy. Makes me really put even more stock into entry.
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Tue May 15, 2012 1:34 am

I saw this video and it really got me thinking about my trail cam use for this year.

I have already ordered a bracket to place my cams up more.

I was pretty good about not going out of my way just for cameras last year so as not to scent up any of my areas and I will continue to do that. I also plan to go further by never really taking the cams in except for maybe a brief period after antler drop to try and keep them scent free as possible. I am also going to not touch them with my bare hands anymore and spray them with some type of scent killer after I have had contact with them.

All in hopes of spooking less deer. Every little but can help on small parcels or they can definitely do more harm than good.
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Tue May 15, 2012 2:21 am

Here is the bracket I am using on 2 out of 3 commercial cams

http://clip-shot.appspot.com/web/index.html

Hes running a special if you contact him by the end of tomorrow via email $30 for two shipped to your door. They will hold a cam, no problem
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Tue May 15, 2012 7:54 am

I dont use cameras anywhere near where I hunt. The Wensel brothers put their flash cameras up high, they think the deer might just think it is lightening or something. On their new Essential Encounters video they have footage of a mature buck getting his photo taked over 30 times by a trail cam on a field edge. The buck totally ignores it. This was private land though not public.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
ompaathao

Unread postby ompaathao » Fri May 18, 2012 11:57 pm

8-) ... Just a bump

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”