Bumped a buck today....

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHunt

Bumped a buck today....

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:58 am

As i was morel hunting today i stumbled along a buck in his bed....i would of never guess this buck would of using this spot, but to my surprise i kicked out what looked to be a good buck....i really didn't get a good look at the bed because my friend was with , and he also bow hunts so i was just trying to keep it quiet :shhh: :whistle: :lol: he wasn't around when i kicked the buck out, he was up on the hill looking for mushrooms, thank goodness!!!when came down , he asked what i was taking pictures of , i said nothing and kept walking :whistle:

the bases of his newly growing antlers was about 3-4 inches from what i saw ....hes bedding utilizing this spot with a couple different terrain features ... one, hes almost surrounded by water, so nothing will get to him easily with out him knowing it, two he has a slight ridge behind him causing a thermal affect, and theres also a hiking trail behind him , that people walk on every day all day, hes smelling them all day with the wind over his back looking towards the water , getting that thermal from the water in his face.....theres ONE rub in the bed thats it, i walked that hole perimeter looking for mushrooms and didn't see one rub, until i kicked that buck out, and it was right in its bed....another thing i noticed walking the out skirts of the bedding area is that, the dogwood was eatin down pertty good in just on area... im thinking thats the spot the deer stages, and dosent move far from that area until pretty much dark, witch is very close to the bed....

........so i want to go back a look it over again, and pick out some set up trees and look at it better. If and when, im going to wait until the next rain ..... how long do you guys think i should wait??, should i even go back? what if i kick the deer off the bed again, how do you guys think this will affect the bedding come season?

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Bumped a buck today....

Unread postby dan » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:15 am

Interesting... Hope your "friend" don't visit the Beast and read your post! :lol:
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:31 am

dan wrote:Interesting... Hope your "friend" don't visit the Beast and read your post! :lol:

nope he dont have a computer ;) :whistle:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:58 am

Good find!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
jon

Unread postby jon » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:58 am

Lol I always feel guilty not telling my buddies my secret finds...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:07 am

do you guys think i should go back and take a look ....
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:41 pm

Go back, thoroughly scout the area to figure him out, set up your spot and be done with it until it's time to hunt it. Get it all done at once. Repeatedly going back isn't good.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue May 01, 2012 1:15 am

Nice find, I have found a few beds I never would have found without bumping a buck off of them. They seem to find those overlooked areas that end up being perfect bedding when you get in the bed and look at the big picture.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Tue May 01, 2012 1:59 am

Maybe try a soft bump...... That way he feels like his bed works for him, and he gets away, but I wouldn't go back after this next bump.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri May 04, 2012 10:18 am

Love seeing beds posted up. Learning tool for all.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”