surprise, surprise

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

surprise, surprise

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:25 pm

Didn't mean to Gomer Pyle anyone with the title... but this afternoon I drove to a big woods area to scout, no agriculture available for these deer. I had a destination in mind, a spot I had located on an aerial photo that was pretty remote and very difficult to get to... after parking my truck and grabbing my gear, I headed down the woods road (impassable right now with a truck) to get near where I would begin the difficult trek to my intended spot. After walking down the big woods two-track for nearly a mile, I noted yet another deer track in a small patch of dirt. After taking several quick steps by it, I thought "whoa there, hold'er up a minute... that track looked BIG.". I turned around for a closer look. I found a very fresh, casually walking track that was almost four fingers wide, wider with the splayed hooves, and a flat walking track with both dew claws making clean impressions. The ground was very hard here and the track did not sink far at all. This flat-footed buck has some poundage on him. I also found older tracks here from the buck that were also going the same direction. I decided to back track him, as I knew that direction held some cover while the other side of the road had some oak ridges, aspen thickets, dogwood and lots of wintergreen (wintergreen is a favorite for deer in this bigs woods area in December and January). I began sniffing the run like a blood hound during a jail break... 140 yards off the road I found a buck bed, with one rub right in the bed. The bed was right on the transition line of big woods and a willow thicket, with the thicket being backed by a tagalder swamp. I found one more bed the buck uses about forty yards away with one rub in it as well. Both beds had old rubs from previous years adjacent to them. Before I turned around I knew what I would find... not a single tree within a couple hundred yards large enough to hold a tree stand- that's a main reason he is there. The exception was a lone white birch (oh, brother) that is mature but within bow range of two primary exit trails from the buck. The tree is forty yards off the road... but, you do what you have to.

Finally I was off to my remote area. As I plowed through the swamp knee deep with water I finally approached my intended micro-island. About fifty yards off of it a lone deer went crashing off the back. I found one rub in the bedding area, and a couple of very hard to find rubs back on the mainland- if the buck that made the rubs was the one that crashed out, he is mature.

Both spots need more work before season to be fully prepped, but it was a productive scout despite all the rain. 8-)

Dewey

Re: surprise, surprise

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:30 pm

Sounds like a great day of scouting. Thanks for sharing. I really enjoy reading your scouting reports. 8-)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:56 pm

X2!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
blackwolf
500 Club

Unread postby blackwolf » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:00 pm

Sounds like a good start, hope it pays off! I hope to do a scout run on Sunday if the weather cooperates.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:53 pm

Great job, I really enjoy reading all your scouting reports. It really makes some of what I see "click" when I see it. 8-)
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:18 am

8-)
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:37 am

I alwasy like reading your scouting reports SB, very detailed and well thought out. Now if we could just get you to post some pics. 8-)
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:26 am

headgear wrote:I alwasy like reading your scouting reports SB, very detailed and well thought out. Now if we could just get you to post some pics. 8-)

I had a light rain falling the entire time yesterday- I left the electronics bagged up in Ziploks inside my badlands pack. I will try to get more pics up soon!

Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:54 am

Dewey, PLB, headgear, Brad, blackwolf- thanks guys, appreciate it.

I can assure you I enjoy reading your posts every bit as much as you do mine. 8-)
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:54 am

Keep up the good work SB. Scouting posts are some of my favorite, you really learn who the die hards are. Pretty much everyone I talk to (even deer hunters) give me a strange look when I tell them I am scouting this time of year.

I've been meaning to get some scouting posts up for a while now, lots to be excited about. Few more scouting trips and in a week or so I will probably post a massive scouting report for this spring and a few places I scouted over the winter.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:51 pm

Bring it on, looking forward to your report!

Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:57 pm

Lovin your posts SB! Do yo have any advice on back tracking bucks? I've only given it a try a couple of times but every time it led to areas where you couldn't possibly see the tracks (water, ton of other tracks, etc). That got me jacked up. I'm going out tomorrow to a known piece of public for bruiser bucks. Its a piece I haven't been on for a while for many reasons but thought about it and its about time to venture. Plus there are a bunch of turkeys out there I will be scouting them as well.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:23 pm

Czabs wrote:Lovin your posts SB! Do yo have any advice on back tracking bucks? I've only given it a try a couple of times but every time it led to areas where you couldn't possibly see the tracks (water, ton of other tracks, etc). That got me jacked up. I'm going out tomorrow to a known piece of public for bruiser bucks. Its a piece I haven't been on for a while for many reasons but thought about it and its about time to venture. Plus there are a bunch of turkeys out there I will be scouting them as well.

Sorry about the late response, got stuck working twelve hours today...

back tracking is tough on dry ground. When I cut a big track, I like to use my memory / topos / aerials right way to make an educated guess as to where he came from and what he is moving toward- likely bedding and feeding. I shadow the runs moving toward those locations trying to pick up another track here and there. Sometimes it may only be an impression, or where the toe tips cut the ground... I may not get another fully visible track. I look very closely at any funnels on the way to the potential buck destination for tracks, such as a creek or ditch crossing... fence crossing... the base of a saddle in hill country... and the like. When you get good at it you can use these funnels to keep track of bucks in a particular area pretty much year around. When I cut a big track in any of these areas, or the track of a buck I am familiar with, I am able to make a fairly educated guess as to the bedding area the buck is using at that time. I sure don't have or am able to afford trail cameras to monitor bucks in my many hunting areas. The big woods don't offer crop fields to watch for bucks either... these tracks in funnel areas (and elsewhere) are an important part of my scouting to help me determine when a particular bedding area is probably being used by one of my intended target bucks.

Hope that helps a might...
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:40 pm

Great stuff and great read for the hunting enthusiasts.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:28 am

AS usual great post SB. Thanks for sharing.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”