surprise, surprise

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Re: surprise, surprise

Unread postby Czabs » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:17 am

Singing Bridge wrote:
Czabs wrote:Lovin your posts SB! Do yo have any advice on back tracking bucks? I've only given it a try a couple of times but every time it led to areas where you couldn't possibly see the tracks (water, ton of other tracks, etc). That got me jacked up. I'm going out tomorrow to a known piece of public for bruiser bucks. Its a piece I haven't been on for a while for many reasons but thought about it and its about time to venture. Plus there are a bunch of turkeys out there I will be scouting them as well.

Sorry about the late response, got stuck working twelve hours today...

back tracking is tough on dry ground. When I cut a big track, I like to use my memory / topos / aerials right way to make an educated guess as to where he came from and what he is moving toward- likely bedding and feeding. I shadow the runs moving toward those locations trying to pick up another track here and there. Sometimes it may only be an impression, or where the toe tips cut the ground... I may not get another fully visible track. I look very closely at any funnels on the way to the potential buck destination for tracks, such as a creek or ditch crossing... fence crossing... the base of a saddle in hill country... and the like. When you get good at it you can use these funnels to keep track of bucks in a particular area pretty much year around. When I cut a big track in any of these areas, or the track of a buck I am familiar with, I am able to make a fairly educated guess as to the bedding area the buck is using at that time. I sure don't have or am able to afford trail cameras to monitor bucks in my many hunting areas. The big woods don't offer crop fields to watch for bucks either... these tracks in funnel areas (and elsewhere) are an important part of my scouting to help me determine when a particular bedding area is probably being used by one of my intended target bucks.

Hope that helps a might...

Yes that helps a lot thanks. :mrgreen:

Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Re: surprise, surprise

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Tue May 01, 2012 11:53 pm

Good read guys :D

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”