4/10/12 Scout

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: 4/10/12 Scout

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:48 am

Czabs wrote:I have most of my trees picked out but it there are definitely spots that are bugging me.

My engine gave way in my truck this weekend and I will be filming turkey hunting on Saturday so I don't have a whole lot of time. But your enthusiasm and effort scouting your swamps and sharing it with us on the Beast really is giving me the itch to get back out there one or two more times, and fine tune some setups.

Keep at it! And thanks for posting. 8-)

Thanks Czabs- I hope you get the time to do some fine tuning, and good luck with the turkeys!

blackwolf
500 Club

Unread postby blackwolf » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:46 pm

Got up north today to spot check last years rut sign for this fall's stands. What I found was bittersweet: terrific big buck sign all around the trail intersection my tree covers! Only I wasn't in that tree last fall because of 1 hour walk to get there and my knee was shot. Now, with my knee replacement I WILL be in that tree this fall. It has been a perennial hotspot for me; 2 trails cross on side of a small knob in semi-thicket about 100 yards from 6 acre thick evergreen bedding along small creek. Access is long but easy with westerly winds;I generally make it an all day hunt or 8am to 1pm. Today's access was totally miserable as beavers have the most deluxe 5 tier setup on the small stream I cross to get there. The "house" had to be 15 feet tall! My detour around it was chosen badly as I climbed up and down miserable brush to get above the dams. Below the dams would have been easy, that is the way I came out. No wolf sign!!! They appear to have moved out of this area for now.

I also found a 2nd hotspot a couple hundred yards away as a good alternate stand. I think this is going to be a good year!

Now, up to N.Minn in 2 weeks for last spring scout!
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:32 pm

great news that one of your hotspots is showing a lot of potential for the upcoming season- plus a bonus spot to boot. Those beavers sure can wreak havoc on the landscape and make things difficult!

Looking forward to a report of your Minnesota scout. 8-)

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”