Good buck track??

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PLB
500 Club

Good buck track??

Unread postby PLB » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:03 pm

I took these up north in one of my target areas about a month ago. Just got around to posting them. There was a real good buck pictured about a half mile from here last Nov. I think this may be him?? I will be keeping an eye on him!! What do you guys think?? I know it's hard to tell from a pic!!

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Good buck track??

Unread postby dan » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:33 pm

Looks like a good one to me... Its hard to tell with a single track, but a series of walking tracks tells the story.
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:33 pm

With all the prego does this time of year i am always leary of putting too much faith in tracks alone.... but if that is a lone traveler in a bucky kind of passage...i would guess it is a good one...only know for sure if you see em
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:33 am

The last picture shows a close gait and not much "swing" between the steps. Not a real good indicator of a good buck. The splayed hooves and heavy dew claw impresssions mean a heavy deer......it could be a big buck.

Is this on any kind of incline, decline or flat surface? If I had to guess would think a slight decline as the deer is really splaying, dew claws showing well meaning the deer is really leaning back with it's weight and the short gait.

Could also mean real close to it's bedding area after a long walk all night........tired action showing the dew claws but the gait usally doesn't change that much (shorter).
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:37 am

These tracks were on a gated logging road about 100 yards from a main blacktop road. They are coming from bedding and going to a feeding area. Flat ground. Never thought about the pregnant doe theory. I gotta believe if it was a big buck that the tracks were made at night being so close to a main road. I scouted all day way deeper in on a creek bottom and found these by the truck walking out. There is a decent rubline just north of where these tracks were coming from the same bedding area.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:56 am

The last picture shows a close gait and not much "swing" between the steps. Not a real good indicator of a good buck.

I was thinking it was tracks from different days... If those are the same day tracks, its likely a running deer based on the placment of the tracks. If its running, it might not be a big buck.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:23 am

dan wrote:
The last picture shows a close gait and not much "swing" between the steps. Not a real good indicator of a good buck.

I was thinking it was tracks from different days... If those are the same day tracks, its likely a running deer based on the placment of the tracks. If its running, it might not be a big buck.

Think you're right Dan.....after blowing the pictures up it looks like a running track if it's not going down hill. A couple pics show slight debris kicked up ahead of the track.....would expect more on a full out run from a deer but it's not a casual walking track.

Seems to favor it's right side slightly too.....left track is always splayed more than the right. Even though some tracks looked washed out I think that it's just from stepping in shallower snow....the ground leaves are "burning thru" faster.

I have an idea......how bout PLB you just show us the spot and we will walk around until finding similar tracks? :shock: :lol:
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:08 pm

I'm headed back there for a wknd scout!! Hopefully I can get some more pics for you track experts!!

Obsession Bows
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:45 am

Public Land Beast wrote:I'm headed back there for a wknd scout!! Hopefully I can get some more pics for you track experts!!

No GPS coordinates for us?....... ;) :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”