Who is still scouting beds?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

hoot
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gary.schwartz.332

Re: Who is still scouting beds?

Unread postby hoot » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:40 pm

I am just blown away by the wealth of information on this site. The attention to details, amazing. I've learned more in the 8 months or so that I've been visiting this site than in all my 30+ yrs of hunting. I wish I'd discovered this style years ago. I feel foolish posting here. Lol. Unfortunatly I got a late start scouting for beds to hunt this year but I'm still burning the rubber. Trying to take in all this is overwhelming at times. I've got one bed picked so far along with good kill tree with easy access off river so I should be able to hunt it a few before burning it. His shed looks like 2 1/2 or 3 1/2 y/o 8 pt. With all the good food I'm guessin 2 1/2. I've found numerous other beds scattered thoughout the public areas I hunt. Now I just have to soak up all this info and devise plans. Hopefully Dans field seminar I'm attending the 14th will add it up for me. Ticks were bad today. Deer ticks. Hate them things.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:50 pm

Was in one yesterday..but knew it was from early fall prior to the cut of the adjacent corn field and the remaining corn debris confimred that to me..as well as how the hairs were few and far between- where as the fresh doe beds the hairs were ontop and very present

boy do i love that feeling of this is where he sleeps and i can start to unfold the plan of his demise..just never gets old...or stays that easy
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
Kodiakman
Forum Executive Chef

Unread postby Kodiakman » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:33 am

hoot wrote:I am just blown away by the wealth of information on this site. The attention to details, amazing. I've learned more in the 8 months or so that I've been visiting this site than in all my 30+ yrs of hunting. I wish I'd discovered this style years ago. I feel foolish posting here. Lol. Unfortunatly I got a late start scouting for beds to hunt this year but I'm still burning the rubber. Trying to take in all this is overwhelming at times. I've got one bed picked so far along with good kill tree with easy access off river so I should be able to hunt it a few before burning it. His shed looks like 2 1/2 or 3 1/2 y/o 8 pt. With all the good food I'm guessin 2 1/2. I've found numerous other beds scattered thoughout the public areas I hunt. Now I just have to soak up all this info and devise plans. Hopefully Dans field seminar I'm attending the 14th will add it up for me. Ticks were bad today. Deer ticks. Hate them things.

Hoot- Isn't it just fricking awesome here??

Dan- at what point of the year do you for sure quit looking at beds. Ie, this year with the weather. What is your personal projection?
It's not a problem, it's a opportunity for a solution.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:43 am

Dan- at what point of the year do you for sure quit looking at beds. Ie, this year with the weather. What is your personal projection?

The major scouting stops about green up, which is about now here this year... But I do scout beds all year. I do plan on making some road trips to scout some bedding mid summer, and I also have some spots accessible by water in mind. Even in the fall I will look at deer beds and scout them, especially if I am tagged out. But really, if I scout beds in the fall, I consider that area most likely burned for a while if I was sitting right at the bed checking it out.
That brings up a good point, that some of your best scouting can be on years you fill your tags and get to scout the beds right when the deer are using them.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:21 am

Last week I drove up north a ways to scout a public cattail marsh I had located by driving by it. It isn't very large, probably several hundred acres or so, and it is in the middle of some seriously pressured public land. After walking the transition line of the marsh I found a very small point that jutted out into the marsh itself. The point conisted of two white oaks, and half a dozen red oaks- all fairly mature. I could see a couple of decent trails coming onto the mainland and headed into the marsh to investigate. The first line of brush I walked into contained a fairly small bed with some small rubs... the rubs likely from a yearling last fall. I noticed the main run in the marsh had continued on so I sloshed in farther and farther. I ended up coming onto a small knob in the marsh that contained a good sized and live maple tree, with another dead tree adjacent to it that had broken over about four feet off the ground.

A blowdown next to a live tree, with a small knob of dry ground... and there it was. a very good sized bed that hadn't been used in quite some time, with lots of deer hair in it probably from last fall. I set up my orange glove trick and walked the runs in and out in order to determine a potential ambush. The only place possible to hang a stand is in one of the white oaks back on the mainland within shooting distance of a couple of runs exiting the marsh. I followed the run on the mainland to a nearby staging area that has rubs from last fall and many years past as well. The rubs were on some forearms sized trees and tall enough to make me think one of the bucks using the bedding area was at least a three year old.

I broke out the logbook to record notes about my set up, GPS'd and filmed the bed and stand tree's, etc. Next fall I will give this cattail marsh a crack likely in early season, as the grove of oaks appears to be a primary draw. 8-)
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:33 am

Singing Bridge wrote:Last week I drove up north a ways to scout a public cattail marsh I had located by driving by it. It isn't very large, probably several hundred acres or so, and it is in the middle of some seriously pressured public land. After walking the transition line of the marsh I found a very small point that jutted out into the marsh itself. The point conisted of two white oaks, and half a dozen red oaks- all fairly mature. I could see a couple of decent trails coming onto the mainland and headed into the marsh to investigate. The first line of brush I walked into contained a fairly small bed with some small rubs... the rubs likely from a yearling last fall. I noticed the main run in the marsh had continued on so I sloshed in farther and farther. I ended up coming onto a small knob in the marsh that contained a good sized and live maple tree, with another dead tree adjacent to it that had broken over about four feet off the ground.

A blowdown next to a live tree, with a small knob of dry ground... and there it was. a very good sized bed that hadn't been used in quite some time, with lots of deer hair in it probably from last fall. I set up my orange glove trick and walked the runs in and out in order to determine a potential ambush. The only place possible to hang a stand is in one of the white oaks back on the mainland within shooting distance of a couple of runs exiting the marsh. I followed the run on the mainland to a nearby staging area that has rubs from last fall and many years past as well. The rubs were on some forearms sized trees and tall enough to make me think one of the bucks using the bedding area was at least a three year old.

I broke out the logbook to record notes about my set up, GPS'd and filmed the bed and stand tree's, etc. Next fall I will give this cattail marsh a crack likely in early season, as the grove of oaks appears to be a primary draw. 8-)

Sounds like a great plan SB. Good Luck! 8-)

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:15 am

Sounds like a great plan SB. Good Luck!

Thanks Dewey- always glad to add another spot to the list.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:09 am

Bigdaddy-yoyo wrote:When the Big Buck Serial Killer says "He is in for it now"..........hide the women and children cause something is going " DOWN"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Get em Dan !!!
Good stuff!! :handgestures-thumbup:
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:41 am

Im planning to make an overnight trip back into where I went in Feb which is 1.5 hours from home. My intention is to go there, hunt turkeys in the morning. Setup a basecamp at noon. Based on the temp, if its really hot Ill likely fish till almost evening and then I have more spots to look at. I pulled down the map for that area and color coded it and it revealed a few benches that I initially didnt see when looking at it online. I have to see these benches, particularly the one that rides the edge of a point from private ag clear out into the center of public.

The elevation change is so rapid that its going to be a major deterrent from anyone carrying a stand. I plan to just fight through the misery this fall if its promising.

Going into next season I have so many fresh new spots including ohio that I am not sure I can hunt them all even once. Thats a feeling I havent had for years.
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:43 am

My spots at home cover 5 counties.
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:22 am

And that is why you are a Hunting Beast Jeremy..
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:52 am

Garrett,

I think you can take anyone whos here regularly, including yourself and say the same. Hunting obsession at its worst. If they ever ban hunting my god this crowd right here might become an angry mob. What would we all do with our time? Id go insane, period.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”