Birthday Bucks!

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Birthday Bucks!

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:12 am

I decided the best way to spend my birthday was to hit the swamps and marshes to do more scouting and stand preparation… what else would I do? 8-) Today was going to be a tall order, as I was going in to an area that gets pounded with pressure- and I mean pounded. There are so many roads on the public land here that there is nowhere the bucks can go to leave most hunters behind. Despite this, some decent bucks make it through every year- but finding one of them is a real chore. By the way, my definition of decent is likely a lot different from yours- a buck that makes it to its third birthday here is something to really get excited about. A three year old here will score about 106” to 115” at best!!

I hit some classic Beast spots, off of points and hidden high ground out in the swamps/marshes. But I only managed to locate several beds of bucks that were yearlings last fall. It appeared that finding a two year old would be the best I could hope for today and the chances of that were diminishing by the hour. Finally I located a decent track or two, as well as a good rub on the transition line of a swamp. I followed the transition line of the swamp and high ground to where a point progressed into the swamp for a fair distance. I found a decent run with a small rub (two year old) going into the swamp. After searching for a half hour I located several buck beds about a hundred yards into the marsh on little dry humps of land, maybe five feet across. Each bed had a small rub or three near it.

Having spent a lot of time in heavy pressure public land in Michigan, I noted one run that hooked away from the subordinate buck beds and angled back toward the point but would remain well away from the high ground. I have found this a number of times while snow tracking bucks and it will occasionally pay off to follow it… always check them out anyway. There would be no snow to track in today. After covering about a hundred yards of marsh I located a large buck bed surrounded by muck, water, tagalders and nastiness. There were a couple of good sized rubs near the bed from a couple of years ago, and one good rub in a nearby staging area sixty yards from the big bed itself.

This buck, at least a three year old last fall, has done what a number of other bucks I have scouted over the years like to do. It simply isn’t enough for him to go out in the super dense cover, water and muck to bed and rely on noise to protect him. He walks predators tracking his ground scent through a subordinate buck’s bedding area to have them get blown out first and give him advance warning. And despite bedding in a secure, very thick on all sides, tiny dry hump he prefers to bed on the prevailing downwind side of the mainland point.

Go to bed in a super dense, wet and mucky swamp… walk ground tracking predators (coyotes and tons of wild dogs here) through subordinate buck bedding areas first… bed often where a prevailing wind will give warning of mainland predator activity… these bucks are amazing in the survival skills they have learned in super heavy pressure areas. They "sometimes" will stage no more than 40 – 60 yards, at best, here before dark… even during the rut periods. They can be pretty tough to hunt!

Dewey

Re: Birthday Bucks!

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:30 am

Very interesting stuff Bridge as always. Thanks for sharing. 8-)

Sounds exactly like a small marsh island I scouted and posted about last month. I think the buck bed I have been hunting the past few years is very similar to what you found. The buck is completely surrounded by water and it would be impossible to get within 75 yards of him without tipping him off. The subordinate buck theory tipping him off early is interesting and I can see that applying to my set up as well especially since at least once I saw a 1.5 year old buck bedded near him acting like a sentry on the mainland side. One little intrusion spooking the young buck and the mature buck slips out the backside of the island to safety.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
ttsbuck
500 Club

Unread postby ttsbuck » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:13 pm

Bridge from the sign and beds you discovered how did you determine the age of the bucks? I realize that if there are old rubs from previous years this would give clues to the age of a buck, but you seem to be basing the bucks age on other factors.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:27 pm

Awesome post as usual SB!! By the way you share a birthday with my daughter!! She turned 7 today. Happy birthday!!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:31 pm

Dewey wrote:Very interesting stuff Bridge as always. Thanks for sharing. 8-)

The subordinate buck theory tipping him off early is interesting and I can see that applying to my set up as well especially since at least once I saw a 1.5 year old buck bedded near him acting like a sentry on the mainland side. One little intrusion spooking the young buck and the mature buck slips out the backside of the island to safety.

I have tracked a number of bucks that have done this, enough to make it interesting when you see it. They have multiple ways to access these beds, but with a prevailing wind they seem to take advantage of it when they can.

ttsbuck wrote:Bridge from the sign and beds you discovered how did you determine the age of the bucks? I realize that if there are old rubs from previous years this would give clues to the age of a buck, but you seem to be basing the bucks age on other factors.

I'm basing it on rub size out from the bed, the size of the bed itself, and the buck's tracks. With so few bucks around here reaching 3.5 years of age we quickly become experts in the sign left by yearlings and two year olds. This buck's walking track is 3.5 fingers wide on me, his rubs are on a couple of forearm sized trees and the bed is extra large. Tracks are my largest indicator for this buck, as I cut his fresh prints on a couple of runs near the bed. That being said, there is no guarantee that my target buck will be the one that comes out of that bedding area when I hunt it... but I usually cut my target buck's tracks near the bed before I commit to the stand for a hunt. There are no fields or shining possibilities near the area, so tracks and their unique identifying features help me map his whereabouts.

Public Land Beast wrote:Awesome post as usual SB!! By the way you share a birthday with my daughter!! She turned 7 today. Happy birthday!!

Thanks PLB- I hope your daughter had a great birthday too! 8-)
Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:48 am

Don't know how I missed it? But Happy Belated Birth day SB
G3s
500 Club

Unread postby G3s » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:08 am

Happy belated B-day Scott...great post! It really is amazing at how the survival skills are so much sharper on a 3 yr old deer...they can become virtually un-killable at that age here.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:29 am

Bigdaddy-yoyo wrote:Don't know how I missed it? But Happy Belated Birth day SB

Thanks Bigdaddy- have a great weekend, sir. 8-)

G3s wrote:Happy belated B-day Scott...great post! It really is amazing at how the survival skills are so much sharper on a 3 yr old deer...they can become virtually un-killable at that age here.

Thanks Tim-

The three year olds around here have bullets and broadheads in them already, typically... they learn what to avoid doing in a hurry.
Carol
Site Admin

Unread postby Carol » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:52 am

Happy Birthday Scott!!
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then!

Some People Need a Shock Collar!
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:21 pm

Thanks Carol!

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”