Who's Scouting This Weekend?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brad

Re: Who's Scouting This Weekend?

Unread postby Brad » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:43 am

I just did a drive by of a new public spot that I have been looking at on google earth. I wanted to get a feel for how it lays so I can print my maps off now and go scout it hopefully this weekend. It looks like it is bigger than I anticipated, always a bonus.

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:49 pm

Well scouting was kind of bust this weekend, I decided to focus on those under your nose spots next to the road and parking lot. I hit a dozen spots and found a pile of beds but zero mature buck sign other than a random scrape or rub. Plenty of young buck sign and even more hunter sign. I clearly under estimated how close to road some people hunt around here.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:53 pm

im heading up north next weekend to scout my hill country farm ......looking forward to that all winter :L: cant wait!!!!!!!!!!
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:47 am

I got out yesterday on my hill country spot. I was smart enough to wear jeans this time but it was still too hot to wear long sleeves. So my arms look like I got in a fight with a family of racoons. Seriously it seems like every branch and twig has thorns. I found plenty of rubs and scrapes close to the road, including some rubs that measured 48 inches at the top. Eventually I got back into the thick stuff. I cleaned out a tree that I wanted to sit in when I got my 8 pointer, feel really good about the spot for gun. Great funnel. Too bad we can't hunt it during the rut. Also found a buck bed out on a little knob (no specific visible bed because of the hard ground) but I found enough patches of hair, rubs, and three finger tracks that I'm sure he's somewhere within a 15 yard radius. I didn't even attempt to get a tree prepared, just picked out a ground blind spot for late bow. Also had been seeing three does pretty regularly last December on a evergreen/birch transiton. Now I found their beds. I have trees picked out right overtop of the beds for morning sits, as well as a ground blind spot halfway back. It's seriously too thick back there for anything else. The blind would be set up about 5 yards from the trail. Most importantly I did all my walking on trails and had my GPS on. Now I have a map of some of the primary trails and how the big picture fits together in that one area. It's only about a 300 acre section of a 1000+ acre land though, so I'm nowhere close to done.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”