Out taking names.

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

The Rav

Out taking names.

Unread postby The Rav » Mon May 03, 2010 12:27 pm

Yesterday I was cruising around out in the country taking the names off NO HUNTING signs. I've got a few names that I'm gonna look up during the week on DEX KNOWS and find out exactly where these land owners live. I would like to approach these guys and offer to help them around their properties in exchange for some hunting time on their land. I am just a little apprehensive about making my approach to these landowners though. I've never really done this before and my biggest fear is being told no. But I guess if I ask enough landowners I will hear plenty of no's, on the flipside there are bound to be a few yes's. Any advice on how to make approaches to these landowners doorsteps?

publiclandhunter
500 Club

Re: Out taking names.

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:41 am

Wear a nice button-up shirt, smile, be polite....and be prepared to hear a lot of them tell you "no!"

Gotta start somewhere. Someone will tell you "yes", you just have to weed-out the others first. Good luck!

PLH
Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:19 am

When you drive in look around and you will see the things they enjoy the most. Flowers, gardens, fishing boat, old cars, etc. Strike up a conversation about those things. People love to talk about the things they love. They will warm up to you in a hurry. Ease into the hunting conversation. "How many acres do you have?" "do you see much wildlife on your property?" "I enjoy bow hunting" "I would be willing to help around your place in exchange for being able to bow hunt once in a while." If you get a no then ask about late season chances.
Be yourself. If your nervous it will show. You don't lose anything with a no because you didn't have anything in the first place. You have nothing to lose. You might even look for ways you can help (as you drive in or by). Suggest that you could repair and paint their wooden fence in exchange for being able to do some hunting. Actually, we have a blast talking to people when we stop and ask for permission to fish streams. Sometimes we talk way too long! Don't forget to thank them even if they say no. no today might be yes tomorrow!
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:16 am

I can't, in good conscience, give a recommendation on how to go about this. :? Where I live, the hunting pressure is so extreme if you ask at thirty farms/landowners you will be rejected 30 times. If you show up with a red 2010 corvette convertible as an offer to let you hunt they will fire every gun they have at you so that you never think that way again. :lol: Seriously though, I doubt your area is this bad and hopefully you will have some success. In extreme situations like I have around here you are better off networking- a cousin's aunt may let you hunt, or your buddies boss that owns the ice factory may let you hunt if you pick up some shifts on the weekends, etc.

Another method is to be a paramedic and when things aren't going well in the back of the ambulance you will get a lot of offers to hunt.... just kidding, that wouldn't ever really happen. :mrgreen: Good luck with your quest!!
ttsbuck
500 Club

Unread postby ttsbuck » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:41 pm

Yea you will hear a lot of no's but so what, be polite and say thank you. If a landowner seems friendly but still says no I make it a point to return during late season, hopefully when its really cold. It seems they have a different attitude about me when I ask to hunt at that time of year. This has helped me gain access on more than one occasion. Where I live in Manitowoc county its very difficult to get on any new property. We hope to draw Iowa this year. We were there in May talking with the land owner who is allowing us to hunt his farm, I asked if he thought any of his neighbors would allow us on their property he suggested the next farm down the road. So we went over and talked to the guy and he said that we could hunt his property. I was really surprised, you just never know. And this second farm looks better than the first farm.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”