My first successful beast style scouting trip

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

hoot
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gary.schwartz.332

My first successful beast style scouting trip

Unread postby hoot » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:43 pm

Been scouting some new public property that opened last year. Though I still haven't found the monster that made the giant rubs I found 1st trip and keeps me going back. Cedars 10-14" across shredded.
Only access is via boat, or canoe in my case. Nearest road is a good mile.
1st bed I found had no rubs near the bed so I wasn't to sure untill I followed trails from it. This bed is about 50yds off river along an edge of marsh grass and the redbrush along river. His trail heads west towards crop fields 1/2-3/4 mile away. 50yds from bed is thin strip of woods that he follows. 100' into woods was a scrape. Then another. Shortly after 3rd scrape I found his shed. Appears to be 2 1/2y/o 8pt. Couldn't find match. This public land isn't very big, maybe 40acres. I'm guessin everone will overlook it.
Between river and crop fields is cattail marsh. Probably a few hundred acres worth. All private.
I have a great access point with kill tree mere feet from river.

2nd bed is along an another marsh grass edge but with hardwoods. This bed is littered with rubs. It's about 20' off heavy doe trail? Guessing this is a rut bed? Please correct me if I'm wrong in this assessment.
I took pictures of all this but can't figure out how to upload to this thread(iPhone)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

jlh42581
500 Club

Re: My first successful beast style scouting trip

Unread postby jlh42581 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:03 pm

i doubt the shed you found is making those rubs. i cant see a 2.5 making 14" rubs
hoot

Unread postby hoot » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:12 am

Lol. Ya I know he's not the one. I thought I stated that at beginning of post. This bed is a good mile down river.
The cedars narrow down toward end of the public land. I'm guessing he's bedding on the pvt? There's power company right of way that borders one side and I found 2 low fence crossings coming from power lines that go into the private land.
I hung a couple cams early Jan. that showed what looks like a 3 1/2 y/o 8 starting some good mass coming through quite regular. Doubt he's the one too. Got 1 pic of a tall wide buck going away from cam with head down so i really can't tell exactly how big.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:58 am

Sounds like a great spot... Hope you fill your canoe with buck on your way out next fall... 8-)
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:50 pm

I agree. Sounds like a beauty of a spot!

Any signs of other hunters?
addisonlee

Unread postby addisonlee » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:44 am

Nice finds 8-)
hoot

Unread postby hoot » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:59 am

I did bump into another hunter with his kid on my way out. They were headed to same property where big rubs were. There was sign of a campfire in cedars that's wasn't there 2 weeks prior(dunno what that's about) I do know former landowner gun hunts deer back there. Cams also showed large crew yote hunting. I hunted a few times late season and didn't see anybody. The small parcel I think will be overlooked by deer hunters. Maybe duck hunters. Across the river is about 300acre public parcel that also opened to hunt last year. I found 12 illegal stands there already. 2 with illegal feeders and mineral blocks. This is cwd zone. Clear footpath going to home that borders public. I'll keep looking for sheds there. If still there this fall I'll probably report them. I did find 2 probable buck beds with rubbed trails that lead to the edges of feeders. Checking for hot does during rut I'm guessin?

hoot

Unread postby hoot » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:56 pm

Couple questions about these beds.
The bed along river. I'm assuming the deer bed facing the opening of there bed with the cover to there back (where the river is) Would he use this bed only when the wind comes off the river or from his back side while keeping watch over marsh grass in front?
The second bed by the heavy doe trail and bedding area. Would he bed with wind coming from doe bedding which is marsh grass or from the hardwoods Its tough to tell which direction he beds in this one.

dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:40 pm

hoot wrote:Couple questions about these beds.
The bed along river. I'm assuming the deer bed facing the opening of there bed with the cover to there back (where the river is) Would he use this bed only when the wind comes off the river or from his back side while keeping watch over marsh grass in front?
The second bed by the heavy doe trail and bedding area. Would he bed with wind coming from doe bedding which is marsh grass or from the hardwoods Its tough to tell which direction he beds in this one.

If the bed is in thick cover along the river, wind direction is probably not a factor. Hard to say what the buck is doing with the bed by the doe trail without seeing it... Take a close look, its usually pretty obvious. Could be smelling or watching the trail... Could just bed there regardless to the doe trail...
Chris Conroy
500 Club

Unread postby Chris Conroy » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:54 am

I am the hunter you saw with my son. It was great talking to you on the river. That spot is yours, you found it first. My son and I will continue to look at the land further down river, and some of the other spots I was telling you about. It was good seeing you at Dan's seminar at the show. Hopefully I'll see you on the river again. Good luck with that spot, those rubs are huge!
Z7WIBoy

Unread postby Z7WIBoy » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:59 am

Chris - I hope more public hunters are like you

Platinum PETA Member
(People Eating Tasty Animals)
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:00 am

Z7WIBoy wrote:Chris - I hope more public hunters are like you

X2
hoot

Unread postby hoot » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:52 am

dan wrote:
Z7WIBoy wrote:Chris - I hope more public hunters are like you

X2

Ditto. Chris is an awesome guy. Bumped into him and his son on my out scouting and shed hunting. Think we talked for an hour. Then bumped into him at show during seminar. Turns out we hunt same areas and live blocks away from each other. We'll have to team up and figure out these new properties. They have great potential IMO. Thanx for allowing me this bed. I think it'll be a good buck to go after beast style for the 1st time. There's bigger bucks back there, cams show it, but so far scouting shows they're bedding on pvt. Hopefully Dans field seminar will help me answer that. I want that guy tearin up the cedars! Lol

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”