Using rail roads as access

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brad

Using rail roads as access

Unread postby Brad » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:57 pm

I am E-scouting a new chunk of public marsh that I have been too intimidated to step foot on before. It is a little bit of a drive, but looks promising. I noticed it has a railroad line running through most of it, and I was wondering what the rules are concerning railroad right of ways. Is it trespassing to utilize this to enter and exit or is it a free for all since it runs through the public. I think this might be a good tool to use if I can, but I don't want any trouble either.

matt1336
500 Club

Re: Using rail roads as access

Unread postby matt1336 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:06 pm

I think it's tresspassing. That's never stopped me before. I use railroad tracks to access a lot of my spots. I've talked with deputies and others at the local sheriff's dept and they told me not to worry about getting any fines and/or tickets from them. A warden or a trooper might be a different story. The tracks are my only access to hunt some of these marsh spots.
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:11 pm

A guy I know got hurt playing on a train, slipped and it ran over his foot. The RR lawyers paid him a visit in the hospital, saying that if he wasn't going to try to sue, they would not press trespassing charges. I think he signed off.

If that is any indication, you should be ok unless you get hit by a train. :D
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:47 pm

It's trespassing. I would never condone trespassing, but I know many do. I guess the biggest thing you should be concerned with is whether the DNR would prosecute you for poaching if they caught you coming out with a deer on the tracks. I don't know how our state handles that situation, but I know they don't prosecute for poaching when baiting in a no baiting area even though by law it is poaching since illegal means were used to get the deer. The CO's have tried to get the state to prosecute, but the judges won't go for it. My guess is that they would never bother you over it and would probably congratulate you.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:43 pm

When I was a kid I used to walk the tracks hunting all the time. Things have changed I believe it is now illegal.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:25 pm

Stanley wrote:When I was a kid I used to walk the tracks hunting all the time. Things have changed I believe it is now illegal.

I think it's because of our sue happy society. Seems it's OK to sue somebody else for your own stupidity these days. Image
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:53 pm

Stanley wrote:When I was a kid I used to walk the tracks hunting all the time. Things have changed I believe it is now illegal.

Same here. We would walk down the tracks and jump off when we heard the train coming. Most times the train engineers would wave to us as they went by. Boy have times changed. Now they prosecute anybody they find trespassing. I wouldn't even think about risking it now.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:52 am

It's illegal but it's so trivial when using "common sense." Unfortunately it's just not the way things are now.

I have tracks running through two parcels owned by the same person. I admit to walking down it during hunting season to access...I've never had a problem but understand one day it could be. I'm usually a stickler for laws, too.

Another spot I have to cross railroad tracks...not walk down them...but literally across. The rest of the land is locked - the owner doesn't even know of the legal access point as it is not shown on property records. He just walks across it like he has for 50 years.
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:24 am

They mainly locked the tracks down and dams after 9/11 for security
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:46 am

jlh42581 wrote:They mainly locked the tracks down and dams after 9/11 for security

Agreed. The department of homeland security doesn't like anyone carrying a weapon on the tracks.
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:12 pm

I've contacted the DNR about this before. All they said was contact the RR company and ask permission.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”