Mineral Lick Census

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

kwaldeier
500 Club

Mineral Lick Census

Unread postby kwaldeier » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:27 pm

In a few months I am wanting to establish a mineral lick for the purpose of seeing what bucks i have. I currently have one in the lower right section of timber marked "cows". With cows comes trouble and alot of full cards of cows :? So my main focus is to put a lick where there is no cows any time of the year. The trouble i am having is just finding a spot that will get the most foot traffic. I have marked down what the fields will be this fall and vehicle paths that might scare deer to a certain location.The bird grass listed was planted last summer and is about knee high at the moment. Any help would be appreciated!

Black Squirrel
500 Club

Re: Mineral Lick Census

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:00 pm

Could you draw the pasture fences in? Are the cows allowed in all the timber? Like you said, I would try and place it where the cows don't have access. Maybe somewhere on the northeast side of the bird grass.
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:09 am

It doesnt matter where you put it as long as its in reason. Putting it in a walmart parking lot isnt going to do any good but if the area gets any traffic at all, one deer will find it, it will return with one in tow.... then it compounds.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:41 am

jlh42581 wrote:It doesnt matter where you put it as long as its in reason. Putting it in a walmart parking lot isnt going to do any good but if the area gets any traffic at all, one deer will find it, it will return with one in tow.... then it compounds.

I agree. As long as yuou make it tasty.

A few years ago I tried to start a mineral lick using a mineral forumla made by a local feed dealer that was suppose to be good for deer. They barely touched it. LAst May I started another using salt, Di cal, and topped it with molassas. 1 Month later I refreshed it with molassas again and got 5200 pics from June thru September. They loved it.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
kwaldeier
500 Club

Unread postby kwaldeier » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:08 am

Black Squirrel- Draw the pasture fences in?? Yes they are allowed in all of the pasture marked cows. The West section from about Nov to May? and the SE from May to Nov? Give or take.

Once i tried to put one in the SE corner where that funnel goes into the SE timber with no luck whatsoever so i am trying to get the maximum productivity out of this one!
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:40 am

What type of mineral block are you using? A trace mineral block will work way better than a mineral block. A salt block will work way better than a mineral block.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:46 am

I would put it in the same types of areas where you would put trail cameras... Field edges and night time feeding areas. Put it where you can access the camera without spooking the deer by getting to close to bedding.
Close to bedding ain't a bad thing, but it should be in an area that does not make them want to move bedding areas because of your human intrusion.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:02 am

Lower right hand corner. Assuming your "bird grass" is not tall enough to bed in.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
kwaldeier
500 Club

Unread postby kwaldeier » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:40 am

i had planned on putting it on an edge of the field on the Southern side of the bird grass somewhere. The only thing stopping me was the vehicle access. The main spot I thought about putting it in is the Middle island that butts up to the South corn field. Sort of secluded by trees yet easy to access for me and the deer through the corn.
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:42 pm

Outside of the pond, any other water? Can't tell if there is a creek on the SE side where you said you had one up.

I'd keep it somewhat close to water...assuming heavy use and high temps come summer.
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
kwaldeier
500 Club

Unread postby kwaldeier » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:10 pm

Alright i redid the map a little bit. I put where the fences are(ugly green), where there is water(purplish) and marked 2 red X's on where i think i will have the lick. One is IN the bird grass and one is on the other side of the fence. In the bird grass is easy to get to with anything and easy to see for tresspasses and family members who will want to take a closer look and stink it up. Just on the inside of the timber is sort of secluded but i am unsure if they will cross the fence to get to the salt?

Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:45 am

That looks like a good spot in this situation. I think it should work. Good luck!
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:44 am

That should work for you.
I have tried lots of different kinds of mineral, and Lucky Buck Mineral seems to work the best for me and is good for the herd. Check out there website http://www.lucky-buck.com/

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”