Marsh scout 2-19-2012

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Marsh scout 2-19-2012

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:30 pm

Back in October I posted on the "Live From The Stand" thread about a buck that I saw stand up from his bed while I was on stand. He bedded back down shortly after and I never did see him leave before dark. I am very familiar with this small island and know of a few different shooter bucks that have bedded here over the years.

To start out here is a pic from my stand of that day when I saw the buck. He was bedded on the left side of the island which would be the southwest. The wind that day was coming out of the west. His bed is exactly 90 yards from the tree I was sitting in. I wish I could get closer but unfortunately there isn't a suitable tree. Behind me is farmland with cropfields about a 1/4 mile away and more than likely the main food source this time of the year.

The island is very small and probably only only 30 yards x 20 yards. It is completely surrounded by water and very secure. A few years back I jumped a large buck at least 150" from this bed during the late season. He was bedded with a smaller 1 1/2 year old buck.

Fast forward to this past weekend. I decided to scout this island to see what has been going on and thought I would share my findings.

This is the bucks bed. Not sure how many different bucks are using it but I believe this is the primary and most used bed. This is the exact spot I jumped the 150" out of.

This is the bucks view from his bed. I am actually sitting right in it about the same height he would be when bedded.The treeline is where I was sitting 90 yards away and I was in the larger tree that forks out.

This is the cover the buck had is back to and would be his escape to miles of cattails beyond this if anything approached him from the mainland. His exit trail is just to the right of the pic.

This rub was nearby his bed.

Went back to the tree I was sitting that day. In this pic I am standing right at the base of the tree. In hindsight I probably have been setting up too high and the buck could easily spot me from his bed.

I will fine tune my position next season and wait for the right conditions to hunt it again. This is a spot I only hunt a few times a season.

It really helps to get in the bucks bed during the offseason and see things just like he does. Now I know better for next time and hope to get another chance at him.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Swampthing
500 Club

Re: Marsh scout 2-19-2012

Unread postby Swampthing » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:00 pm

Good post Dewey. I rechecked a bed a few years back and checked my set also. It was pretty clear what i did wrong. I was terribly exposed. It sure is worth the extra effort to have a second look.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:07 pm

Thought I would post a few more bonus pics. :)

Looks like the beaver in one of my other spots is still keeping up with his destruction.

Another large tree down. Pretty soon I won't have a tree to sit in. :(

This is another tree from earlier in the season during the muzzleloader season.

Here is his lodge..............

Obviously the beaver has been active with the warmer weather. Found tracks in the snow and his entrance/exit hole. This goes right in the embankment the lodge is built on.

I am really surprised by the size of trees they can take down. Now I understand the phrase "busy as a beaver"!! :lol:

ompaathao

Unread postby ompaathao » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:23 pm

8-) NICE!

PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:29 pm

Cool post, do you think that the buck saw you that day that he stood up and bedded back down or do you think he was just nocturnal?
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:39 pm

Great post thanks for sharing.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:51 pm

PredatorTC wrote:Cool post, do you think that the buck saw you that day that he stood up and bedded back down or do you think he was just nocturnal?

He actually rose from his bed a good 2 hours before dark more to stretch I believe than anything else. Didn't look like he planned on going anywhere. He bedded again after a few minutes.

I watched him for a long time after he bedded again and he showed no indication that he spotted me. Seemed completely at ease.

Once the sun started to go down I lost him in the shadows. Either he stayed bedded or slipped out the back side of the island into the wind. I don't think he saw me that day but really hard to say. It was impossible to hear anything because I was surrounded by litterally hundreds of ducks quacking and splashing around.

PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:06 pm

Great post Dewey!!!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:15 pm

Awesome pics. Great post. 8-)

Have you only sat this spot in the afternoon?

Maybe giving it a try in the morning once or stalking him with heavy winds?
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:23 pm

wow nice good find...im going out hard this weekend so look out 8-) :lol:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:14 am

Good post Dewey! It's nice to see other beasts set ups and then try to apply it to my situation. Thanks for sharing.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:29 am

Great post Dewey... That spot resembles a lot of my set ups. I also agree how important it is to look at the actual beds and see what they can see and hear so your not tipping your hat when you set up.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:39 am

Czabs wrote:Awesome pics. Great post. 8-)

Have you only sat this spot in the afternoon?

[glow=red]Maybe giving it a try in the morning once or stalking him with heavy winds[/glow]?

Yes, I have attempted both of these. Even in strong winds this island is very difficult to approach. Only set up here once for a morning hunt with no luck.

Without going into too much detail about this spot, behind me is the perfect funnel and if the buck wants to head to the crop fields he has to go past me. Thinking that evening hunts are my best option since he is likely bedded in mornings way before daylight and access without tipping him off would be very difficult. The only possible way I could get in is the same path he would have to take in the morning. If he came in to bed late he would for sure pick up my scent and the hunt would be over.

All I can do is be very patient and wait for the perfect conditions and give it a few sits next season.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:54 am

Great post/pics dewey! I also like to revisit some of my proven spots, it seems I am alwasy learning something new or picking up a few minor details to help down the road.
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:00 am

Maybe hes like this beaver, just looking out for you, creating a buck bed

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e28rukljgq4[/youtube]

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”