Wind based bedding...

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: Wind based bedding...

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:11 pm

That's an excellent example of a buck bed on a steep slope. Getting to these beds, without going cliff diving, can be a trip sometimes. 8-)

justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:09 pm

The info given by all the generous folks here helped me find at least 4 beds this season. Wind is second nature to them so I will try to master it also. I think a hunter training manual could start chapter one with wind based bedding.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:13 am

Pondering this question a bit; I would say that deer can smell farther than they have to if you use the 1 sq. mi. rule of thumb.

During rut I bet the bucks that seek further distances are the aggressive bucks that sacrifice security over the urge to breed...

The strength of odor and/or consistency of odor will help deer determine either threat or a reasonable degree of curiousness (food, human intrusion, etc.)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
seeds

Unread postby seeds » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:20 am

I know of three public hunting areas where there's a well-used buck bed just a hundred yds or so to the NW of the parking area. Beautifull. They can smell behind them while seeing any arriving hunters.

One of those public lands bears the same name as a Huntingbeast member. lol. He (the buck) beds right on the western edge of private land watching the hunter access and smelling the actual hunting area.

One has a river between the parking and the bed,with a small marsh behind it....Unfortunately,I've worked on the warm days lately and now there's a crust on the snow. There's no quiet approach in this crunchy stuff.

Yesterday morning would have been great. North wind. My plan was to approach from downriver(west) until I got somewhat close. Then I'd use a small brushline for cover until I got within range....By the time I was able to free myself from commitments the snow surface had frozen.

The last time I tried,another hunter had just walked near there...I've seen what that buck does - he just fades into the marsh whenever someone crosses the ice (directly) from the lot. I'd have to park way downstream,CROSS way downstream and stalk up the other shoreline.

On the third,the buck beds on private land - actually an overgrown far-backyard - and watches the easement between the parking and hunting areas. Wind at his back... Twice I've walked just "outside" that property line and jumped the buck. Both times that property owner came out and stood - hands on hips - to let me know I was being watched.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:24 pm

Bump and a simple question. Will a consistent wind for numerous days get the deer into a routine?

I think it would and consider the increase in activity from a storm front could be them relocating due to changing wind. Yea or no?

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:01 am

Yes.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:10 am

justdirtyfun wrote:Bump and a simple question. Will a consistent wind for numerous days get the deer into a routine?

I think it would and consider the increase in activity from a storm front could be them relocating due to changing wind. Yea or no?

They do get into routines... Its possible storm from add a little to the movement because of relocation, but, I think the main thing that goes on during storm fronts is increased daylight feeding.
csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

Unread postby csoult » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:47 am

dan wrote:This is where it gets weird... In some hill country "thermal tunnel" beds, I have seen them bed on the wrong side of the obstacle. In the picture below, the buck was bedding above the tree, and looking around it towards, the bottom "where danger would most likely come from... This is an exception, not the rule, but I have seen it more than a few times on hill sides.

I saw this same situation last weekend.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:24 am

this site continues to amaze me
Missionshooter
500 Club

Unread postby Missionshooter » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:20 am

This is a great thread!
STLBowhunter Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKzQUpmjiy8
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:31 am

When you find obstacle backed bedding does that usually mean a buck is using the bed? I have found a few beds in an old clear cut that are backed by a tree or kind of tunneled into the brush. Here is one I found this spring. It was well wore and actually looked like he was using both sides of the tree as you can kinda see another wore spot off to the right. Would you guys consider this a buck bed? The terrain is a sloping slightly into a small depression and is in the corner of 2 human trails that meet at a 90%.

here is a diagram of how its set up.

Last edited by oldrank on Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:57 am

I've seen that same scenario used by does as well mature doe beds and younger does with her and they cover all angles visually and for wind purposes. But it looks like that vine has been rubbed on the left and could very well be a buck bed, especially if it's slightly elevated and he can use the thermals to his advantage. It's worth a definite try and to keep an eye on. Did you notice any tracks or poo close or in the bed to give you a little more info about it? Any rubs close to the proximity?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Ryan
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:32 am

When deer use oxbows to bed I know the general rule of thumb is that the wind would be blowing into the oxbow, but with smaller creek oxbows have you guys ever seen a buck use the water as an obstacle like a downed tree and have the wind come from the water?
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:33 am

whitetailassasin wrote:I've seen that same scenario used by does as well mature doe beds and younger does with her and they cover all angles visually and for wind purposes. But it looks like that vine has been rubbed on the left and could very well be a buck bed, especially if it's slightly elevated and he can use the thermals to his advantage. It's worth a definite try and to keep an eye on. Did you notice any tracks or poo close or in the bed to give you a little more info about it? Any rubs close to the proximity?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

I didnt see anything that would scream a big buck, there were some small rubs throughout the thicket and some old scrapes, but I have been hunting the area for yrs. Both of these bucks came from the thicket area during gun season. Ive never been able to really pin point the beds and Im thinking maybe I have been walking right by them the whole time. I will have to keep it in mind during season and try coming in off a different route.

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:59 am

Ryan wrote:When deer use oxbows to bed I know the general rule of thumb is that the wind would be blowing into the oxbow, but with smaller creek oxbows have you guys ever seen a buck use the water as an obstacle like a downed tree and have the wind come from the water?

Most of the time, no... but I have found several bucks bedding like you describe. There were contributing factors, however. For example, the creek was so slow it made almost no noise- if it is a noisy creek and the buck can't hear I normally do not find bedding like you describe. The other time I see bedding similar to what you are asking about is when the cover is thick enough that the buck will bed there in almost any wind direction.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”