More Marsh Buck Scouting

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

AC Rider
500 Club

More Marsh Buck Scouting

Unread postby AC Rider » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:43 pm

So while checking out a piece of private land I took a close look at a small patch of cattail marsh only a couple acres big. I walked the perimeter and at the South end I found a real heavy trail going in and out of the cattails.

I walked in on the trail and 15 yards inside the edge there it was, a nice big bed that was obviously used a lot during the fall

Then I found two other trails, not quite as big, leaving and entering the bed. These two exit the marsh further to the East. All of the buck movement heads roughly to the South. This rules out a stand there because of the southerly season winds. So I looked closer at the next nearest set of trees to the West

In this set of trees is an old treehouse. I climbed up in it and although it's not perfect, I think it will work for a stand.

From here I will have a 30 yard shot to the main trail as this buck steps out of the edge of the marsh. If he takes one of the other two trails I could be looking at 40 and 45 yard shots. Here is a pic from the stand. The bed is just inside the point of the marsh

This is one of those rare and easy to get to spots that everybody overlooks.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: More Marsh Buck Scouting

Unread postby dan » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:20 pm

Nice find Greg! 8-)
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:07 pm

8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
ompaathao

Unread postby ompaathao » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:47 pm

Nice :D

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:22 am

I think you need to go back and take another look. My notes tell me that most of the time they move quartering into the wind or right into the wind. Remember what dan said..."just off wind" theres gotta be place you can creep in there on a south wind and get one. You may have to alter your entrance and exit extremely but I think you wouldnt be doing yourself any favors to not hunt south of the bed. Maybe I read this wrong but I think thats what youre saying?
AC Rider
500 Club

Unread postby AC Rider » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:52 pm

jlh42581 wrote:I think you need to go back and take another look. My notes tell me that most of the time they move quartering into the wind or right into the wind. Remember what dan said..."just off wind" theres gotta be place you can creep in there on a south wind and get one. You may have to alter your entrance and exit extremely but I think you wouldnt be doing yourself any favors to not hunt south of the bed. Maybe I read this wrong but I think thats what youre saying?

I probably wasn't clear. The buck IS exiting the bed to the South, into the southerly early season winds. The stand is to the west about 30 yards. I can hunt this spot on any south, east or southwest winds.
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:22 am

Makes sense now, I was thinking you were looking hunting extremely west of the bed
addisonlee

Unread postby addisonlee » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:53 am

Nice find 8-)

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”