Scouting Marsh in the Winter

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hunter74

Scouting Marsh in the Winter

Unread postby Hunter74 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:38 pm

I was curious what you guys have found while scouting marsh land in the winter? I have spent some time scouting the last couple weeks and have found there to be little fresh sign... So do you think it is likely a lot of the deer move out of the marsh to wintering areas? Or is it more likely there isn't much for deer in the areas I'm scouting with lack of sign?

My plan was basically to find the areas that seemed to have good sign and higher deer numbers then take a closer look when the snow melts so I can see sign from the previous season. So far what I have seen is slightly deterring so I'm wondering if I'm more or less wasting my time because I can't see a lot of the sign from the year before and areas I do find to have good sign and hold deer now might not hold those deer come summer and fall?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

straitnarrow

Re: Scouting Marsh in the Winter

Unread postby straitnarrow » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:39 pm

I have run into this alot, but I know in these spots from early season through out the season up until winter there are plenty of deer there. And now that the snow has melted I have gone back to confirm some spots and I can see things a little more clear. There are only a couple spots I have found that deer where still using while there is snow on the ground.
Bobby G
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:26 am

I would go back in there right after snow melt. That will tell you what was there during hunting season vs. what you are seeing now. They may be wintering somewhere else near a food source they prefer.
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:54 am

In my area I see very little marsh/swamp activity in the winter, I think the deer spend the winter in different areas and move back into the marsh in spring/summer.

The deer have a pretty easy time escaping us and predators in a marsh, but in the winter everything is frozen so that kind of levels the playing field a bit so they stick to the high ground.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:18 am

I don't think they like the ice... I see some group bedding now in the marsh. But most of my best bedding areas look like ghost towns now.
Hunter74

Unread postby Hunter74 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:35 am

Thanks guys this is what I was thinking

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:50 am

I guess it all depends on how large of a marsh you are talking about and wether or not there is good bedding cover away from the marsh near other food sources.

Around here most of the marshes are rather large and deer sign in them is plentiful especially where there is good food. I find that with the marsh froze over the deer spread out in a much larger area and tend to roam long distances for food. The usual bedding areas are not used quite as much and I find beds right on top of the snow covered ice deep in the cattails. Obviously these beds will not help you much for early season hunting but good to remember if you do any late season hunting.

If you are not finding any sign it sounds like the deer moved out and are wintering someplace else. Some cattail marshes this time of the year do not offer much security unless there is plenty of other thick brush or trees. Most of the cattails are dried up and knocked down and don't offer much cover right now.

The quickest way to look for sign is check along all of the transition lines where cattails meet brush or high ground. If you don't find much sign there the deer are probably not around and I wouldn't waste my time until spring thaw.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
addisonlee

Unread postby addisonlee » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:23 am

Agreed with everyone above. A lot less deer use the marsh during the dead of winter. I find my best areas unused this time of the year, but some do get used all year round near food sources.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”