Scouting question

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHunt

Scouting question

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:13 am

so does any one do this ....when you find a bed in winter come back in spring and put a plain together ...and are unsure of the trees ...has anyone ever brought your stand to the location in spring and set up like your hunting to see what you can get away with....is this illegal on public land doing this out of season :think: just wondering cuz im have a hard time figuring out this bed and there two possible trees to set up with , but im torn on them cuz the one tree is good if the buck comes out of bedding area using that trail but not covering the other trails ....the other two trees are good for other reason but dont cover the other trail ....i want to set my stand in spring and see whats the best tree for this spot ...there all good trees working in my advantage(wind wise) but limited to the trails....

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Scouting question

Unread postby dan » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:41 am

I would figure out the trails and hunting spots now, and leave it alone till its the day your going in to hunt it. Then, if your detective work has not given you enough data to figure out which trail, go in and look at which one is being used the most and set up.... If you have a hunting partner you can trust, some of these spots can be very successful covering both ways out.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:54 am

dan wrote:I would figure out the trails and hunting spots now, and leave it alone till its the day your going in to hunt it. Then, if your detective work has not given you enough data to figure out which trail, go in and look at which one is being used the most and set up.... If you have a hunting partner you can trust, some of these spots can be very successful covering both ways out.

hmmm ok....i just want to see if i can cover both trails ...i figured out what i want to do but just torn on what tree ........
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:05 am

Not sure about your area bighunt...but that would be legal here. I usually just kneel down at the bed and look around to see what I can get by with.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:09 am

Autumn Ninja wrote:Not sure about your area bighunt...but that would be legal here. I usually just kneel down at the bed and look around to see what I can get by with.

i did that i just want to see what trees i can set up in that covers both trails ....from the bed you cant see the setup trees..... my problem is i dont want to sit in the one tree if it only covers the one trail ...so i want to decide witch one to go with
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:15 am

There was a thread awhile back where someone was setting up 4 stands on a bed for next year. I can't remember who it was but the stands were like 30 feet up.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:31 am

Stanley wrote:There was a thread awhile back where someone was setting up 4 stands on a bed for next year. I can't remember who it was but the stands were like 30 feet up.

well this is public ....
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:11 am

BigHunt wrote:
Stanley wrote:There was a thread awhile back where someone was setting up 4 stands on a bed for next year. I can't remember who it was but the stands were like 30 feet up.

well this is public ....

I wish I could remember the thread. I don't think he was leaving them up just getting everything ready for next year.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:01 pm

I've found that I have to take my LW and sticks w/ me scouting. I get everything the way I want it in spring. It's nice to get set up in fall and not have to make noise breaking and/or sawing limbs so you can fit your stand it and be comfortable. You have to make sure you account for leaves when you hang the stands and do a little trimming. Try not to trim too much though. Some maybe able to get away w/ no trimming in spring, but I'm still earning my Beast merit badge....I need all the help I can get.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:32 pm

Completely legal BigHunt.. You arent hunting, so I dont see anything wrong with setting up your stand (as long as you arent leaving it there - but it doesnt sound like you are)..

What would be illegal about it?
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:43 pm

cornfedkiller wrote:Completely legal BigHunt.. You arent hunting, so I dont see anything wrong with setting up your stand (as long as you arent leaving it there - but it doesnt sound like you are)..

What would be illegal about it?

AWESOME thanks guys ...
HUNT LIKE A BEAST

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”