Some many pieces as to why?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Z7WIBoy

Some many pieces as to why?

Unread postby Z7WIBoy » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:59 am

OK - i am losing sleep over this and going nuts :think:
I went scouting the spot i did last weekend again just to try to get the pieces to come together and I am more confused than ever now. In the picture below I have found 2 beds - probably not a mature deer but there is some rubs in there that are 3 inch trees and belly button high. The white are the trails that lead out or around the beds and the red are the rubs (the west is actually a mound much like a top of a tunnel that separates the 2 swamps the creek runs through the middle and is very wet and about knee deep on both sides except in the v (creek flow through) that breaks the mound up about calf deep say) on the mound there is a pile of rubs but it is only 20 yards end to end. The north red there is just a couple of rubs maybe 10 yards between these rubs and the bed. What I can't figure is is how these trails and rubs and beds come together so I can pick my tree and as to why - I have attached the big picture as well and I think I might have just figured it out (as I was typing but here it goes anyways):
Big Picture:
Beds and Trails:
Early season - the north west above the main lake/swamp is a game farm in which they plant crops for pheasants (sorgum, and other stuff) - soy beans are dry by mid September so they may be hitting the game farm at night for food so using the north trails as the exit route to food which would explain maybe the less amount of rubs (early season)
South trail they can have easy access to acorns (big yellow circle is a oak woods) - piles of them in which deer love more than anything and would explain maybe as to why the more rubs as acorns fall in early October and mid October which also co-insides with early staging of rut which bucks rub more - maybe?
Let me know if this could be accurate as to my thinking and if you have any better ideas as to which trail you think they use and as to why - it would be greatly appreciated. Not trying to be a pain just trying to glue the thousand pieces together. ;)

Platinum PETA Member
(People Eating Tasty Animals)
MOBIGBUCKS

Re: Some many pieces as to why?

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:29 pm

A belly button high rub is nothing to overlook....You are probably dealing with a mature buck bed there. Disregard the tree diameter on making that a small buck.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:35 am

I think he may be bedding somewhere else when he is hitting the acorns in the oak flat. Possibly to the north.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:09 pm

I am not sure whats confusing you? The trail leading north is the trail he uses when feeding to the north, so on, and so on, for the other trails... Rubs tell you a buck is in the area, but don't totally go by the rubs to put you in the right spot. Base your hunting off scouting the acorns and other food areas and hunt the trails accordingly. I do think the rubline you have marked thru the swamp is also a travel rought to or from the beds... Looks like you could either have 2 or 3 ambush locations picked out for those beds.
Concentrate on the trails coming and going from the beds and how close you can get.
Z7WIBoy

Unread postby Z7WIBoy » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:13 pm

Thanks Dan
Quick questions:
Do must bucks stay out in the transition line or will they go from bedding to trails just off the staging while in the staging area for cover?
I know u don't know this area but u mention ambush spots - based off just the pictures what would u chose for ambush spots?

I do feel your scouting seminar will bring my confusion and pieces together
Thanks
Tim

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Platinum PETA Member
(People Eating Tasty Animals)
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:06 pm

Z7WIBoy wrote:Thanks Dan
Quick questions:
Do must bucks stay out in the transition line or will they go from bedding to trails just off the staging while in the staging area for cover?
I know u don't know this area but u mention ambush spots - based off just the pictures what would u chose for ambush spots?

Thanks
Tim

I'm no expert but I would pick trees just off the trails coming out of the bedding area as close as you can get without being seen or busted. Covering two trails is better than covering one trail obviously so if the terrain and wind allows it, I would do that. Then during the season I would scout and see if there are any big bucks feeding in the food sources. Maybe set some trail cameras up in the food sources (not by the bedding) and shine if you can. What you get based off that will tell you what beds to hunt and when.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:03 pm

Z7WIBoy wrote:Thanks Dan
Quick questions:

Thanks
Tim

When bucks leave there beds they tend to stage at changes in cover, they tend to head straight for where they want to go, but might use trails that go thru cover, and might not...
The ambush points I would pick would be done so based on looking at the beds, trails, and how close I could get. I really can't pick a tree or spot based on that aerial.

Yes... We are going to look at a bunch of similar bedding scenarios and decipher where to hunt and what the buck is doing...

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”