Are there any advantages to scouting in the snow right now?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Are there any advantages to scouting in the snow right now?

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:08 am

I enjoy getting out this time of the year and follow deer trails in the snow to see where they are traveling, feeding and bedding. It's really neat seeing things from a deer's perspective and try to understand why they go where they do. Plus, finding a bonus shed antler is pretty cool too!

The problem I have is how much can really be learned this time of the year? Bedding and some food sources change quite a bit depending on the season and in the marshes I hunt bedding changes quite drastically when everything freezes over.

I learn the most from my scouting after the snow is gone but really have a hard time waiting until then

Anybody else scout this time of the year?
What are you looking for?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Are there any advantages to scouting in the snow right n

Unread postby dan » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:15 am

There are some good reasons for snow scouting... Tracking a buck thru your property and seeing where and how he travels is one thing... Another is looking at the bedding he is using now for two reasons, #1 where he beds in the snow may be a good place to hunt near in late season... Also, some of the best primary bedding areas are used all year especially in areas where deer don't winter and stay on the property all year. The best part about that is that some of the spots are often in over looked areas, but if you follow the tracks right to the bed, it won't be over looked.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:22 am

dan wrote:The best part about that is that some of the spots are often in over looked areas, but if you follow the tracks right to the bed, it won't be over looked.

Great point!
This is how I found some of my best buck beds over the years. Not sure if I would have found them otherwise.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
moosehound

Unread postby moosehound » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:23 am

Last year was the first year I scouted in the snow. I found 2 trails the deer were heavily using that no one on the lease ever thought to look.
I hunt whitetails all year long.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:40 am

The buck I killed this year was directly related to snow scouting. I had found two different mature buck tracks walking a certain trail. Told me that two buck used the area. Also had found buck beds and rubs, I still need to scout the area more completely, which I will so soon. Of course I have no way pf knowing if the buck I killed had made one of the tracks, but if a couple of mature bucks felt comfortable there, other bucks might too. Based on the closeness to prime bedding as well as the remote area, I was comfortable that the area would have daylight movement. Now I just have to figure out an early season access for a PM hunt.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:56 am

Not this year... But in Wisconsin some of the early snows that occur in October or November catch bucks still on there fall patterns before getting into there winter habits. Scouting tracks and beds then can be really effective, but its during hunting season.
whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:58 am

scouting around an urban area last night and was shooked to see where i found most of the beds. in town not 40 yards from 2 busy streets. 2 major trails leading in and out, one when into the neighborhood and the second out into a picked corn field.
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:13 pm

Scouted a public marsh today!! Saw 7 deer, 5 almost ran me over in the middle of the swamp! Theres not enough snow to change their habits too much. They live in there year round. The fields are plowed over on private but they are browsing on red brush and going about their business. I think its a great time to be out.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:46 am

I went out today, I learned some stuff and discovered some new areas. I don't like scouting in the snow though, I like finding the beds they were using during the season, not now.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:20 am

Its definetly easier to see beds in the snow, if you are having a problem locating them it can be a confidence booster.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:00 pm

Zap wrote:Its definetly easier to see beds in the snow, if you are having a problem locating them it can be a confidence booster.

Good point.
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:37 pm

I think just in general getting on a fresh big track especially if you get some fresh rub shaving to confirm and then just following it, back and forward, just to see how the terrain is used, where the bedding spots are, is just an excellent expererience, it helps you see things. Even if it's not what's used in the fall, in gets you inside their heads a little.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”