Another big and high rub post

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Another big and high rub post

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:59 pm

Inspired by swampthing's big and high rub post....do these qualify?

Taken today 4-24-10 in the rain....my son is 52"-53" high with his boots on....i have to say the tallest rub I have ever found. Doesn't even look "normal" with the rub being down so low and high? Anyone else see anything like this?

Dewey

Re: Another big and high rub post

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:57 pm

Did you find them near Rhinelander?

Maybe they were from the young bull moose that was hanging around Monico that was hit by the car last summer on Hwy. 8 :)

Otherwise you have one heck of a buck in the area you were scouting.
The first picture I have seen plenty like that size in cedar swamps but the second picture is REALLY high. :shock:
Maybe the buck was bending the tree down some when he rubbed it. :?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:20 am

If that second one is indeed a "rub" its a great buck that did it... The reason I say "if" is it looks to be on an old logging road. Could an ATV or truck drove over the tree scraping the bark off?
Seems awfully high for a deer...
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:55 am

Dan,

The opening shown behind the rub is a power line opening....always possible it was by a skid steer or atv but I don't think so.....didn't get the other rubs in the picture that were near this one. The others were not as high but numbered 6-8 more within a 10 yard area.

Area is in Shawano county and I'm not 100% sure if I can get hunting permission this fall.....trust me, I'm sweet talking the best I can. No one has permission to be on this land so if it was an atv it was a tresspasser.

By the way we did find at least 50 plus other rubs but not as impressive as those pictured. Two posted were the largest and highest and only about 100 yards apart.

We bugged out early because of the rain.....raining again today but if it lets up I'm heading back out to scout some more. Yesterday was just a quick walkthru and my boy was getting tired and wet.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:05 am

It's hard to see detail in pictures but both look strange to me.
The first looks more like the tree was hit by equipment and peeled. The second is strange because it looks only rubbed on one side all the way up like it was drove over and rubbed the underside of something.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:07 am

Aw , can't sit here any longer, heading out again in the rain....have to find out more info.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:09 am

Hodag Hunter wrote:Aw , can't sit here any longer, heading out again in the rain....have to find out more info.

dont' forget the 30 MPH winds :D Go get em hodag!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:18 am

Hodag Hunter wrote:Aw , can't sit here any longer, heading out again in the rain....have to find out more info.

Thats the spirit! 8-)
WiBowhuntress

Unread postby WiBowhuntress » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:40 am

I can't see the detail in the second picture very well, but it looks similar to something I had come across alot in the winter of 2009...while out looking for sheds I noticed that alot of the smaller trees had the bark stripped off the them. Looked just like that one your son is standing next to. I believe because of the large amount of snow, the deer were actually chewing on the bark and then stripping it up and off the trees? Has anyone else ever seen that sort of thing?
There were dozens of trees in this area that were like that...it was heavily traveled by deer. And the trees were definately not rubbed.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:32 pm

Update: just returned about 20 minutes ago and I don't think the tall rub is a rub after all. Pictures below show some "rubbing" on the back side of the tree and a smaller tree close to the tall one but something just doesn't look right. Dan, Magic or Sherry could be on to something as the tall "rub" doesn't show any gouge marks by tines. The large diameter one in the first post is a rub for sure and a dandy at that.

Same pict posted above.

Some more rubs we found today. All pictures where my boy is pointing his finger is the highest rub point....to me still pretty impressive. Day turned out fine as the rain stopped when we arrived and got out of the truck. Windy as all heck but kept the bugs away. Very few beds on this property but guessing by the travel routes we saw, most deer are bedding on the opposite of the highline. No way for permission to scout here...I tryed but doesn't look permission will every be granted. Owners hunt themselves and rumor is of a monster buck that spends some time there. (local talk is 200" but can't hardly believe everything you hear)

I do have (3) stand sites picked out if I get the option to hunt here.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”