Scouting a large tract of property

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

straitnarrow

Scouting a large tract of property

Unread postby straitnarrow » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:24 pm

When scouting a large tract of property how does everyone go about it? Do you get the whole property on 1 map and just dive in or do you break the property into smaller map sections (ie. square mile sections) and scout 1 section at a time.

Bobby G
BigHunt

Re: Scouting a large tract of property

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:28 pm

what are talking here ....hill country marsh ...?

i think your on to it .....

i would depending on the size of the land and how much time you have to scout, break it into sections
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
straitnarrow

Unread postby straitnarrow » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:33 pm

Most of the time I personally am hunting marsh. But I'm not trying to single out any property wether it be public, private, hills, marsh etc. I'm just curious how everyone goes about a very large tract of property....lets say anything from 2,000 acres (just throwing out a number) and larger.
Bobby G
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:38 pm

straitnarrow wrote:Most of the time I personally am hunting marsh. But I'm not trying to single out any property wether it be public, private, hills, marsh etc. I'm just curious how everyone goes about a very large tract of property....lets say anything from 2,000 acres (just throwing out a number) and larger.

oo ok ...i think the best way to go about a large property is to break it down in sections ....for example Ive been scouting a public piece near my home and its very large and vast...Ive all ready been there 6 times and i still haven't even scratched the surface yet :shock: ......ive just been breaking it down in sections
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:57 am

Depends on what terrain you are scouting. Most hilly terrain you can nearly predict where the bedding is gonna be; that will knock out 70 percent of the walking and time spent. In places like river bottoms where I bowhunt, you have to walk it ALL. Grid it out in sections and put your feet on the ground.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:13 am

I guess it depends on how much time you have, I would love to spend all weekend in the woods but I have kids and that just isn't possible at this time. So for me I break it up and kind of run a milti-year hunt/scout program. Find what beds you can and hunt them this fall, I also like to mix in some blind hunts and hunt suspected bedding in a new area of the property when the wind doesn't work good for beds you know about. Every time I set foot on that property I keep an eye out for fresh sign and I am constantly scouting. Even once you have scouted everything and feel you know the property well, I think its a good idea to go back and see if anything new has developed or if you possibly overlooked some good beds. I just know ther are several buck beds I have completely overlooked on the properties I hunt.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”