Rubs and Trails

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Z7WIBoy

Rubs and Trails

Unread postby Z7WIBoy » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:35 pm

From the picture you can see the buck bed and then the deer trails i found on near the buck bed.
The trail to the north has no rubs or sign of buck traffic - but that could be part of his plan
The trail to the west has a pile of rubs on and leads a pine thicket - great place to setup a kill staging area
white lines are trails - hard to see - sorry

will a buck leave rubs on its exiting trails or just around its bed?

Platinum PETA Member
(People Eating Tasty Animals)
BigHunt

Re: Rubs and Trails

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:55 pm

Z7WIBoy wrote:From the picture you can see the buck bed and then the deer trails i found on near the buck bed.
The trail to the north has no rubs or sign of buck traffic - but that could be part of his plan
The trail to the west has a pile of rubs on and leads a pine thicket - great place to setup a kill staging area
white lines are trails - hard to see - sorry

will a buck leave rubs on its exiting trails or just around its bed?

it seems the younger the deer the more they rub ....the older the deer the less they rub ....

a 2.5 and 3.5 seem to do a lot of rubbing going into the bedding areas and coming out of them.
4.5 + older bucks leave little to no sing ....dan hunted and killed a buck that never rubbed in its bed.... he found the shed to the buck in the exact bed that he shot it in....no rubs
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:59 am

A buck will leave rubs exiting hid bed. Sometimes many, sometimes hardly any at all. Sometimes you can backtrack them right to the bed, just from finding a starting rub.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Z7WIBoy

Unread postby Z7WIBoy » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:34 am

Swampthing wrote:A buck will leave rubs exiting hid bed. Sometimes many, sometimes hardly any at all. Sometimes you can backtrack them right to the bed, just from finding a starting rub.

OK so I found his bed and the rubs leading out of it. Would I setup at the end of those rubs (staging area) - south of the west white line or setup on the trail behind the beds? Will a buck always exit with the wind to his back or nose into the wind when leaving his bed?

Any input is greatly appreciated :)
Platinum PETA Member
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:27 am

Z7WIBoy wrote:
Swampthing wrote:A buck will leave rubs exiting hid bed. Sometimes many, sometimes hardly any at all. Sometimes you can backtrack them right to the bed, just from finding a starting rub.

OK so I found his bed and the rubs leading out of it. Would I setup at the end of those rubs (staging area) - south of the west white line or setup on the trail behind the beds? Will a buck always exit with the wind to his back or nose into the wind when leaving his bed?

Any input is greatly appreciated :)

I would set up in the direction of the rubbed trail... Not where they end, not where they start, but rather as close to the bed as possible without bumping the buck;.

Some bucks rub in bedding areas, some don't... Often, I find heavy rublines that start 75 yards or more away from the bed.
Z7WIBoy

Unread postby Z7WIBoy » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:13 pm

Thanks Dan
I while have to take another look and figure it out a little better.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Platinum PETA Member

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”