camera and mineral block in staging area

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

straitnarrow

camera and mineral block in staging area

Unread postby straitnarrow » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:15 pm

As I was scouting some public marsh today I found a remote island that I figured there was nobody going out to. I then seen a home made stand in a tree on the island. I got disapointed then I seen a very large rub very tall and aggresive and I found some very large disticnt tracks. I also found where he is bedding about 50 yards off of the island in some willow brush and plum brush. Then as I went back to the staging to look for "the tree" and some more sign I found a trail camera and a mineral block. It's illegal to bait in mn but I'm guessing the mineral block was put out after the season. Does everyone think that this will ruing the bedding area completley or does everyone think the buck will come back after all is said and done?

Bobby G
BigHunt

Re: camera and mineral block in staging area

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:19 pm

straitnarrow wrote:As I was scouting some public marsh today I found a remote island that I figured there was nobody going out to. I then seen a home made stand in a tree on the island. I got disapointed then I seen a very large rub very tall and aggresive and I found some very large disticnt tracks. I also found where he is bedding about 50 yards off of the island in some willow brush and plum brush. Then as I went back to the staging to look for "the tree" and some more sign I found a trail camera and a mineral block. It's illegal to bait in mn but I'm guessing the mineral block was put out after the season. Does everyone think that this will ruing the bedding area completley or does everyone think the buck will come back after all is said and done?

:? :? :? not a good situation either way ...but i would hunt it before that guy does......camera+mineral block in bedding area= bad news :naughty:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:40 pm

From the sounds of the pressure he is putting on that area checking cameras and adding bait, I would bet mature bucks vacate the bed until the guy vacates...
I have an island in a marsh by me that I had tons of success on with bedding just off to one side. A couple years ago I slipped out there and there was a treestand and trailcamera ( illegal here) I left and came back later in the year and there was a beat trail from a river to the tree and garbage under the tree and the deer sign was gone... The next year he was back... This year the guy did not show all season and the bucks were right back in there.
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:00 pm

straitnarrow wrote:As I was scouting some public marsh today I found a remote island that I figured there was nobody going out to. I then seen a home made stand in a tree on the island. I got disapointed then I seen a very large rub very tall and aggresive and I found some very large disticnt tracks. I also found where he is bedding about 50 yards off of the island in some willow brush and plum brush. Then as I went back to the staging to look for "the tree" and some more sign I found a trail camera and a mineral block. It's illegal to bait in mn but I'm guessing the mineral block was put out after the season. Does everyone think that this will ruing the bedding area completley or does everyone think the buck will come back after all is said and done?

I would count that one a loss my friend. As Dan said chances are slim that mature bucks will utilize the area and it would also be hard to explain the mineral if the DNR came upon you hunting. Even in to next fall they will be using that site and most likely have a hole dug. It wouldn't matter (at least in Indiana) if you are the one who put it out or not. If they did soil tests and they came back positive you would be the one charged for another mans stupidity.

We can use minerals in Indiana up until 10 days before the start of season at which time the ground actually as to be removed from the site. If they test the soil and it is postitive you are going to court for baiting.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
mn5503

Unread postby mn5503 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:46 pm

Mineral blocks are not considered baiting in Minnesota.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Steve
mn5503

Unread postby mn5503 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:39 pm

I actually used cameras and a mineral block to find this bucks bedding area. I had pics of him for several years and couldn't find where he was hanging his hat until I backtracked with cameras. Turns out he was making about a mile trek from where he was bedding, far back in a large/very wet green swamp (pines and cedars). The mineral block is on a food plot converted over from an old logging road, less than 200 yards from my house. He would show up there and visit the block on a very regular basis. He would spend a lot of time back there, summer, fall and winter. I knew he had to be bedding down somewhere "relatively" close.

He would usually only show up behind my place after dark.

I set cams up on trails I figured he would be using. Going further and further back over time. Then I found it (his bedding spot), jackpot rooskie!!!! It was a small dry spot just into the far edge of the big swamp. I pulled the cams out of there and left it alone after that.

I set up on the edge of the swamp he was bedding in and had a few encounters with him. Problem was I don't cut much for shooting lanes and I never had a clear shot. It was pretty cool seeing him at 30 yards more than one time. Just wish I would have had a shot. I saw him three separate days but he managed to sneak by through the thick stuff. Never even drew my bow back on him.

What I'm saying is trail cams and mineral blocks can be useful in locating bedding areas but once ya do, back the out of there. I wouldn't check cams there more than once a month back in the swamp. When I located the bedding area, that specific camera got pulled and I didn't go back in there.

Pics go from behind the house to his bedding area. I think he was 5 1/2 years old at this time.

First pic is the last picture evidence I have of him. Winter 2010/2011...

This spot was close to his lair....

Steve
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:20 pm

[quote="mn5503"]I actually used cameras and a mineral block to find this bucks bedding area. I had pics of him for several years and couldn't find where he was hanging his hat until I backtracked with cameras. Turns out he was making about a mile trek from where he was bedding, far back in a large/very wet green swamp (pines and cedars). The mineral block is on a food plot converted over from an old logging road, less than 200 yards from my house. He would show up there and visit the block on a very regular basis. He would spend a lot of time back there, summer, fall and winter. I knew he had to be bedding down somewhere "relatively" close.

He would usually only show up behind my place after dark.

I set cams up on trails I figured he would be using. Going further and further back over time. Then I found it (his bedding spot), jackpot rooskie!!!! It was a small dry spot just into the far edge of the big swamp. I pulled the cams out of there and left it alone after that.

I set up on the edge of the swamp he was bedding in and had a few encounters with him. Problem was I don't cut much for shooting lanes and I never had a clear shot. It was pretty cool seeing him at 30 yards more than one time. Just wish I would have had a shot. I saw him three separate days but he managed to sneak by through the thick stuff. Never even drew my bow back on him.

What I'm saying is trail cams and mineral blocks can be useful in locating bedding areas but once ya do, back the CENSORED FOR BAD LANGUAGE out of there. I wouldn't check cams there more than once a month back in the swamp. When I located the bedding area, that specific camera got pulled and I didn't go back in there.

Pics go from behind the house to his bedding area. I think he was 5 1/2 years old at this time.

First pic is the last picture evidence I have of him. Winter 2010/2011...

This spot was close to his lair....

Key point for sure.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:58 pm

I'll admit I have made this mistake a few years ago, when I first got a camera. Then I'd wonder why the mineral site was untouched...... and no pictures.
Hopefully they guy in your case will bug out, and it'll be your spot soon.
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”