Who keeps a scouting journal?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHunt

Re: Who keeps a scouting journal?

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:43 pm

magicman54494 wrote:
BigHunt wrote:i just use my GPS to mark stuff and add notes to the waypoints.
same here ;)

but what (besides what I mentioned) good would a journal do?
it helps put together a plain when looking at a cretin map and area...... not just scouting info but hunting encounters ...you can pull out a map of a bedding area and read the notes , what wind you saw the deer how, what, why, and when ECT.... and put it together ...this is how it helps me ...i hunt multiple tracks of public land ...this is the only way to keep track of bedding areas

Have you guys that keep journals been able to turn your info into killing deer? If so, explain.

yes i have...... all four of my mounts and most of my dinks :lol: were shot with a plain from my scouting journal ....and i plain on it again this year in 2012....... ;)

Can you explain this in more detail. Can you use one of your kills and go thru the process of using info from your journal and how you formulated a plan that resulted in the successful harvest?

sure thing......give me a few to get it together

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
62kodiak
500 Club

Unread postby 62kodiak » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:48 pm

I realize that this thread is wicked old, but I sure would like to see that example Bighunt.
It's not the knowing that's difficult, but the doing.
cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:58 am

Just started taking notes yesterday. Had to because i couldn't remember what the wind was doing at different spots. I can remember well enough on other things until i get back and make a note, but the frustrating wind deserved a log of its own.
Nothing fancy, just a pen and a scratch paper. So now (so far), i'm creating a scout folder on my pc when i get back. The files are named by the wind direction that day. Hopefully things will come together as time goes.
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:57 am

I'm sure people are doing something similar ... for keeping track of GPS paths/waypoints, I changed my Google Earth navigation tree. I put 'future scout plan' paths/waypoints under separate navigation folder so when I uncheck that folder, all those marks are hidden.

I'm also putting each buck bed into its own folder. Each buck bed folder holds what I need to hunt it. The bed, parking, access paths, deer in/out routes, escape route into the marsh, food etc. I am keeping written notes about each bed in a different document.

Maybe this is overkill but for me it isn't because it will save me time in the long run. Also this way I can communicate with other people using Google Earth or Caltopo. Each buck bed folder can be exported as a single "KML" file. I sent a buck bed KML to a Beast member last night to help scout the exact spot, from the air. That KML has all the paths/waypoints for that specific spot without information about other spots.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”