New Public Property

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

kwaldeier
500 Club

New Public Property

Unread postby kwaldeier » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:24 pm

I am really interested in this property! We are moving and this is a few miles closer than my home properties so i plan to see if it has potential. There is also another HUGE piece that is closer but does not have the same amount of timber. The huge one is 5100 aces with 20 aces of timber and THIS one is 610 with 110 in timber :) PLus the other one is way to big to try and post topos and aerials...for now :oops:. I have literally never set foot or eyes on this place in person but plan to once season is over! Lack of snow will be tricky but i plan to find out as much info as possible. Slightly nervous about hunting public land :oops:

Zap

Re: New Public Property

Unread postby Zap » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:27 pm

Good luck with it. :mrgreen:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:32 pm

i put red dots where i would start lookimg for beds
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
uncleron

Unread postby uncleron » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:37 pm

Amount of timber isn't that important and that's usually where most of the other hunters will be set up anyways.

The public land I hunt is a 4600 acre marsh with about 150 acres of timber. There were at least 5, 3.5+ y/o bucks that I know of taken off that place this year.
Last edited by uncleron on Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:38 pm

uncleron wrote:Timber isn't that important and that's usually where most of the other hunters will be set up anyways.

The public land I hunt is a 4600 acre marsh with about 150 acres of timber.

I would agree with that.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:39 pm

Zap wrote:
uncleron wrote:Timber isn't that important and that's usually where most of the other hunters will be set up anyways.

The public land I hunt is a 4600 acre marsh with about 150 acres of timber.

I would agree with that.

x3 well said
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
kwaldeier
500 Club

Unread postby kwaldeier » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:40 pm

Either way i will be looking into both of them. Timber is my main concern as i am tree stand hunting 95% of the time...and thanks for the map Bighunt!
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:41 pm

kwaldeier wrote:I am really interested in this property! We are moving and this is a few miles closer than my home properties so i plan to see if it has potential. There is also another HUGE piece that is closer but does not have the same amount of timber. The huge one is 5100 aces with 20 aces of timber and THIS one is 610 with 110 in timber :) PLus the other one is way to big to try and post topos and aerials...for now :oops:. I have literally never set foot or eyes on this place in person but plan to once season is over! Lack of snow will be tricky but i plan to find out as much info as possible. Slightly nervous about hunting public land :oops:

I am unfamiliar with hillcountry so I can't help you out on that one, you would gain a lot more information scouting old sign from the past season without the snow than fresh sign in the snow. Unless you want to hunt them lateseason.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:42 pm

Czabs wrote:
kwaldeier wrote:I am really interested in this property! We are moving and this is a few miles closer than my home properties so i plan to see if it has potential. There is also another HUGE piece that is closer but does not have the same amount of timber. The huge one is 5100 aces with 20 aces of timber and THIS one is 610 with 110 in timber :) PLus the other one is way to big to try and post topos and aerials...for now :oops:. I have literally never set foot or eyes on this place in person but plan to once season is over! Lack of snow will be tricky but i plan to find out as much info as possible. Slightly nervous about hunting public land :oops:

I am unfamiliar with hillcountry so I can't help you out on that one, you would gain a lot more information scouting old sign from the past season without the snow than fresh sign in the snow. Unless you want to hunt them lateseason.

I would agree with that also. :mrgreen:
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:48 pm

Czabs wrote:

;) defiantly , i wouldn't worry about no snow ....that will help you out when finding the beds and rubs.....
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Czabs
500 Club

Unread postby Czabs » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:53 pm

BigHunt wrote:
Czabs wrote:

;) defiantly , i wouldn't worry about no snow ....that will help you out when finding the beds and rubs.....

yea the rubs would be tough to find if you had like 3ft of snow :shifty: ... ;)
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:56 pm

Do not forget the primary scrape areas...
kwaldeier
500 Club

Unread postby kwaldeier » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:57 pm

Finding beds are what i have trouble with, hence the prayer for snow lol
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:59 pm

kwaldeier wrote:Finding beds are what i have trouble with, hence the prayer for snow lol

Snow/frozen water may influence bedding area choices.
Czabs
500 Club

Unread postby Czabs » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:01 pm

Zap wrote:
kwaldeier wrote:Finding beds are what i have trouble with, hence the prayer for snow lol

Snow/frozen water may influence bedding area choices.

Also...deer tend to herd up in the winter months and have different bedding locations than they do come bow season, so you might be hunting beds that don't exist if you setup on them...

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”